Tank vent?

StrongJava

Hello!

Feels like kind of a newbie question, but what is this opening?

Thanks.

Tim

attachment.php

Attachments

• Vent Opening.jpeg
    Vent Opening.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 146

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It looks like the roof vent that's missing its cap. It's not the same as a tank vent.

jimtoo

That should be the attic vent. I think you can buy just the top part from some of the supply places.

StrongJava

Attic vent? Haven't heard of that. Part of the reason I'm asking is because I'm also ending up with some water in the basement after heavy rains. I'm trying to figure out where it is coming from.

I had taken the remnants of the cap off so I could take the picture and search for a replacement.

Thanks!

brianharrison

The space between the outside and inside of the roof - there is a 3-6" space filled with insulation and roof trusses. As temperatures change it allows venting of hot air, or in breathing with outside air as the space cools.

Regarding the water in your basement after rains, are you travelling on the road or just sitting in a campground?

Brian

Roller4tan

if the cover has been broken, water could get in and and travel along the sub roof and down the walls to the basement. I'd be sure to cover it with something until you get a replacement, especially if rain is in the forecast.