Traded in our 2013 Trail Runner . . .

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
About two months ago, while out on a drive, we decided to stop by one of the RV dealerships not far from our home just to see what was out there . . . big mistake!

We looked at mostly Heartland bumper pulls . . . North Trail, Sundance, Wilderness, Trail Runner . . . and even several SOB's!

And then . . . sitting across the lot as we finished our tour . . . a Heartland Elkridge 5th-wheel.

We really liked this trailer . . . but it was too much weight for our new truck (not much, but still too much!)

We then went inside and walked around, and they had a Heartland Sundance with the exact same floor plan, but still too heavy!

Well, we left as it was closing time and headed home discussing the different trailers, but we kept coming back to that Elkridge!

Over the next few days while I was researching online all of the different trailers we looked at, I discovered that Heartland's Prowler division also had a 5th-wheel with the exact same floor plan, and was well within the tow limits of our new truck!

And we found one (and it was the only one anywhere in the western US that we could find online) at another dealership not far from where we looked a few days before.

I drove up there on my next day off to look at it . . . then the following weekend we were booked at the 2015 Colorado Heartland Owners Club Spring Campout at Cherry Creek State Park.

Cathy and I decided to leave camp for the afternoon and go up there so she could take a look at it . . . discussed it at great length between us and several of our fellow Colorado Heartland Owners . . . and the next day (Saturday) we left camp again and drove up there without the Trail Runner . . . traded in our Trail Runner and bought the 2015 Heartland Prowler P292!

So it is with a heavy heart that we are no longer Trail Runner owners, but we are still in the Heartland family!

We really liked our Trail Runner and thought we'd be using it for years to come, but it wasn't meant to be!

Two weeks ago yesterday, we picked up our new Prowler and turned in the keys to the Trail Runner.

However, I spoke with our salesman yesterday, and he told me that the Trail Runner has already been sold!

Barely lasted a week on their lot!

It was an awesome trailer . . . I'm sure the new owners will have as much fun with it as we did!

Here are some shots I took of the Trail Runner at the 2015 Colorado HOC Spring Campout at Cherry Creek State Park . . . it's final campout under our watch:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

We will miss the Trail Runner . . . but are looking forward to starting new adventures with the Prowler in two weeks!

I'll still be keeping any eye on the Trail Runner forum, so keep those photos coming everyone!

Attachments

• TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095204779.jpg
    TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095204779.jpg
    678.1 KB · Views: 196
  • TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095153310.jpg
    TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095153310.jpg
    751.9 KB · Views: 196
  • TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095052920.jpg
    TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095052920.jpg
    687.3 KB · Views: 193
  • TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095110323.jpg
    TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095110323.jpg
    775.6 KB · Views: 195

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Its amazing how fast the used trailers can sell. We traded our North trail in for a new North Trail. Within a month the old North trail was sold.

Ks.Kev

Hey John D,
Glad you got what you like...... Many happy camp-outs with your new Prowler P292!!!
I do have 1 question about your photos of the Trail Runner you traded in......
I have a NT 22FBS which is almost like your Trail Runner and I noticed in your pics that your slide out had "jacks" under it.
Was that something you did or did the Trail Runner come with the jacks?
And if the it DIDN'T come that way..... was you advised to use the jacks under the slide out?
Thanks, and again - enjoy that new 5th Wheel. Looks Sharp!!!!! :D

JohnD

Hey John D,
Glad you got what you like...... Many happy camp-outs with your new Prowler P292!!!
I have a NT 22FBS which is almost like your Trail Runner and I noticed in your pics that your slide out had "jacks" under it.
And if the it DIDN'T come that way..... was you advised to use the jacks under the slide out?

I bought those slider jacks at Camping World . . .

Before we had them, the trailer would rock a little whenever someone moved around in the slide, or when we were eating (dinette was in the slide, so four adults around the table was a lot of weight).

Once I put those jacks under the slide we had no more of that.

A lot of people don't like them . . . but I kept them and will use them with the new trailer if I feel that we need them.

JohnD

Good for you John! Let us know how your truck handles it.

We've gone on two camp outs now with the new Prowler . . . and pulling a 5th-wheeler is a big difference!

It pulls so much better, but backing up is different . . . still working on perfecting that!

And when those semi trucks pass . . . can't even feel them.

No more sway and WD tension bars . . . (did I mention I have a complete WD setup to get rid of?).

But, hitching and unhitching is so much easier and faster that it is unbelievable . . . takes no more than five minutes each way!

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

Hey John D,

I still have those slideout jacks . . . thought I might need them with the new Prowler, but won't need them.

I'll tell you what . . . come to the Colorado HOC Fall Rally at Central City and I'll give them to you!

They really did make the difference is keeping our Trail Runner steady!

Attachments

• ProwlerAtMountaindale-P1000126.jpg
    ProwlerAtMountaindale-P1000126.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 141
  • ProwlerAtMountaindale2015-P1000145.jpg
    ProwlerAtMountaindale2015-P1000145.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 140
  • ProwlerFlagsJuly4-P1000235.jpg
    ProwlerFlagsJuly4-P1000235.jpg
    714 KB · Views: 137
  • ProwlerAtArbys2015-P1000174.jpg
    ProwlerAtArbys2015-P1000174.jpg
    704.8 KB · Views: 138

JohnD

Its amazing how fast the used trailers can sell. We traded our North trail in for a new North Trail. Within a month the old North trail was sold.

Our salesman for the new Prowler told me he was in on the sale of our Trail Runner . . . sold two days after they put it out on the lot!

Of course, we did just put brand new and upgraded axles, springs, wheels and tires on it just before we traded it in!

So the new owners are good to go!

Ks.Kev

JohnD,
That is a one sharp looking Prowler!!!!
I have the North Trail 22FBS, Love it! BUT hind site and reading comments on the towing
Of the 5th wheels, wish I went down that road! But that's OK, like I said, happy with the 22FBS!
I did notice the pics of your Prowler.... is that a "Jack TV Antenna" I see on yours?
Did it come with it or is it something you put on?
AND, how does it perform?
Been thinking of replacing my Bat Wing type with one of those Jack antenna's!
If it is something you installed, was it worth the upgrade to it?
Well, ENJOY that Prowler!!!!
And Thanks for any info on the antenna!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John, looks like you are having lots of fun with the new 5er. A question for you....do you do the "pull test" every time you hook up?? Just asking. BTW, a 5er react's a lot slower when backing than a TT.

JohnD

John, looks like you are having lots of fun with the new 5er. A question for you....do you do the "pull test" every time you hook up?? Just asking. BTW, a 5er react's a lot slower when backing than a TT.

Yup! . . . I do the pull test just to make sure I've got it hooked up right!

Although the video I watched about my Reese hitch says that if the handle is locked . . . then it is hooked up right.

If not . . . the handle won't go into the locked position.

JohnD

JohnD,

I did notice the pics of your Prowler.... is that a "Jack TV Antenna" I see on yours?
Did it come with it or is it something you put on?
AND, how does it perform?
Been thinking of replacing my Bat Wing type with one of those Jack antenna's!
If it is something you installed, was it worth the upgrade to it?
Well, ENJOY that Prowler!!!!
And Thanks for any info on the antenna!

Yup!

I had put the Jack antenna on the Trail Runner last summer, but took it off before we traded it in.

It is way better than the batwing . . .

Only cost $40 at Camping World and about five minutes to install, and it pulls in way more stations than the batwing ever dreamed of, plus it got stations at campgrounds that we never got any TV stations with our two previous trailers.

TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095204779.jpg TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095052920.jpg JackTVup-IMG_3935.jpg JackTVup-IMG_3936.jpg JackTVdown-IMG_3934.jpg

Ks.Kev

Thanks JohnD.
I went ahead and got one myself as well as the signal strength meter....... WOW, it does a better job for sure!
Thanks for the reply!!!!

JohnD

Thanks JohnD.
I went ahead and got one myself as well as the signal strength meter....... WOW, it does a better job for sure!
Thanks for the reply!!!!

Yes . . . I also bought the signal meter.

It sure makes finding where the TV stations are so much easier and quicker!

The 9-volt battery that came with the meter only lasted about 5 minutes, so I bought a couple of good ones for it.

justafordguy

Yes . . . I also bought the signal meter.

It sure makes finding where the TV stations are so much easier and quicker!

The 9-volt battery that came with the meter only lasted about 5 minutes, so I bought a couple of good ones for it.

Hey John, What signal meter did you get?

I've been using a signal finder app on my tablet but it's not perfect.