kitchen counter extension 3055 RL

tspearcy

Buddy Bear's Mom and Dad
Hi out there . . . has anyone had their kitchen counter extension shear off at the top of the metal hinge ? We've been over some rough roads before but yesterday was nothing in comparison but, upon arrival, one of the metal hinges had simply broke in half. We've removed the counter piece and were surprised how heavy this piece actually is. WOW . . no wonder the hinge didn't hold. I've got to believe that this has happened to someone else and wonder if the factory has retooled either the weight of this extension or the strength of the hinge that holds it to the end of the cabinet.

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
tspearcy,
we have had this happen to us also, but just replaced the medal hing and have not had any problen for two years now. Your person from which bought your coach from should have these hings on hand.

vrugt

We ordered the counter extention for our 3600RL. We build a cabinet next to the counter and used the extention as its top (we left enough room below the cabinet to keep the heating grid open)

jbeletti

Tom and Sandy,

Heartland uses 2 brown metal hinges on that flip up solid surface counter extension.

If you need something heavy dutier, consider this:
img_BBMHDA15710G5.jpg

This is very heavy duty and it also allows you to slip the counter extension off for travel when you know the road is going to be especially poor.

I have seen these hinges and I may swap mine out to them.

I spent a half hour scouring the Internet for them so they must be a little hard to find. Looks like you can order them online here for about $50 a pair.

GBUF1ARPBO62.jpg

It may be your solution. Then fold it down and lift it off when you're going through the roughest roads on North America :eek:

Jim

Last edited:

vangoes

Mine broke also...............I'm not sure if I'm going to replace them as I have not really used it much. In its original position it was mounted so much lower than the counter top that it was more awkward than useful. I had thought I would remount it higher but if its $50 for a replacement hinge I probably will just remove it completely and fill the holes. The original hinge must be inadequate to support the weight if this is happening on a fairly frequent basis.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ours broke off on our first long trip. Had them welded and gusseted and they started to bend at the gussets. I found hinges that work at Menards if you have one near you. They were only about $15. As soon as I get off my butt I'll get the camera out of the truck and post a picture.

Attachments

• IM000025.jpg
    IM000025.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

SmokeyBare

Well now... ours broke as well...

Being on the thrifty side... Yes some consider it being CHEAP...

I took it apart and clamped part of the separated hinge in a vice... then making sure the metal is firmly back in place... using a chisel... I once again hammered a flare to the metal post that sticks into the square metal hole.

Tap Tap Tap... it feels tight and secure... until once again We jerk it out of place.