Pressure Tank upgrade

RubiconAg

Has anyone out there installed a pressure tank on their pump system? After listening to pump cycle constantly when washing dishes the novel idea struck me. I'm sure someone has thought of this way before I did and am curious what tank you used, where you installed it and how you plumbed it.

Thanks

jbeletti

RubiconAg,

I myself have not installed an accumulator tank but I am hopeful those who have will step up with info.

I can tell you that my '05 Landmark had the smaller one marketed by Shurflow, same brand as the pump.
2290A.jpg

And I have seen others install the larger (1 or 2 gallon perhaps) house size unit. Shurflo makes a 2 gallon unit too.
14747.jpg

My understanding is that it just Tees off of the output side of the water pump. So a fairly simple installation with the right fittings and tools. The larger house size units will need to be mounted/supported in some way.

Best of luck.

nhunter

A friend of ours put one in his Montana. Like Jim said, just teed it off the discharge side of pump. pretty sure his was a 2gal.

boatdoc

Tank

I have not put one in this rig yet, please stop the rain, but intend to. I have put one in all our other rigs and they are a snap to do. Plenty of room in these Heartland products. It's nice to wash hands or use the toilet and not have the pump cycle to do it. They do though, make the pump run longer when it does come on. It's the cycling that gets me going. I've always used the Home Depot/ Lowes 2 gallon ones.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
How do you winterize without using a lot of antifreeze or disconnecting the tank?
That's a good question. I installed a 2 gallon tank in my last trailer and didn't even consider the winterizing thing. I had the tank laying on it's side in a cradle. I guess the bladder in the tank may allow for expansion. I'm assuming when I drained the system, there was only "Half" of the normal amount of water in the tank. I never had a problem with anything breaking leaking. Just used a pex tee off of the main pump outlet.

boatdoc

Living where we live I really don't have to worry about winterizing although we woke up to snow falling this morning which was a whole lot better than the rain. It least it was pretty. If we do get a very cold snap I do the normal winterizing and add a light bulb down where I mount the tank. I doesn't stay cold enough here to worry much though. Good luck

jnbhobe

I've used the Surflow accumalator for years,move it from trailer to trailer I don't think they hold water just put about 25lbs preasure on the system.But I don't winterize either my garage is heated.It sure is nice when dry camping though

SmokeyBare

When the system's Pressure is released... meaning the water pump off and a sink faucet open.

The Air pressure behind the Bladder should push the fluid out of the tank. Even if it is laying on the side.

Even if it held a little fluid inside the tank... the air bladder would allow for expansion so it shouldn't damage the tank.