Designs for Hauling Yaks?

dalspot

Not being a Kayaker, I thought your post referred to the animal LOL. You might want to edit your title for more replies.

BLHFUN

Funny Dalspot! -

SRS14 - I'm working with a Welder buddy of mine to make/engineer a Kuat Style Rack for my back door. I want to be able to hang my "Yaks" up and down on the back of my TH using a Roof mount style rack. I already have bikes on my Roof during travel and the Harley, Trailer and grill take up my entire garage. Not sure how long yours are, but 10 to 11 footers is about MAX from what we can tell.

So far.... He's giving me a sideways head shake... But I'm persistent, and he loves a good challenge. More to come

HornedToad

Recently saw a photo were someone had made a rack out of PVC sprinkler pipe. He had three kayaks in the rack up & down to one side of the garage leaving room for his motorcycle and some other junk.

I would use the thick walled 3/4 inch pipe and then just measure my yaks for height X width X length of the compartments to create a custom rack. I've never made a rack because I just have two juvenile kayaks that toss easily into the garage. Now if you need a design on how to add training wheels made out of pool noodles to a juvenile kayak so a big ole fat boy won't tip over... I've got that one covered!!!

Gaffer

Put a rack on the TV roof and a front mount receiver with a T going up to support the other end of the yak. You can buy it all off the shelf.

SRS14

Thanks Bart! We have two 12 footers and a 10 footer for the kiddo, so strapping them to the back probably isn't an option, but I will have to look at that. Appreciate the input!

SRS14

After a spill in the ice cold Alturas Lake in central Idaho last summer, maybe training wheels isn't a bad idea!

SRS14

A Thule rack on the TV is a great idea, but unfortunately, things get a little too snug for comfort with the Titanium design on the 370C.

Bohemian

I've considered the T-rack mounted to the front bumper with a roof rack for our canoes. It is very enticing and would solve the problem. It will clearly work.

I am just too concerned with what happens in an accident with all that heavy metal coming through the windshield. It's not for me.

SRS14

I've considered the T-rack mounted to the front bumper with a roof rack for our canoes. It is very enticing and would solve the problem. It will clearly work.

I am just too concerned with what happens in an accident with all that heavy metal coming through the windshield. It's not for me.

The problem I have is that on the Cyclone 370C, it has the Titanium front end with the additional overhang, so to go overhead with the yaks, I would have to be way forward of the front bumper on the Silverado to safely clear the nose of the Cyclone.

pharmafrog

Here is a picture of Yaks Hauling! Hope it helps.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4216.jpg
    IMG_4216.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 209

SRS14

So, I solved the problem with a couple of shelves from the Home Depot (similar to http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-4-Sh...-x-54-in-H-Storage-Unit-31436PS-YOW/100656306), and then wrapped the edges of the shelving with some pipe insulation. Some tie down straps to the built-in D-rings in the Cyclone hold the shelves in place, and some over-center lashing straps hold the kayaks in place on the shelves. Saves a ton of space in the garage of the toy hauler for other required "accessories"! Will post pictures once the Cyclone comes out of storage!