Screen Door Problems

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I am having problems with the latch on my screen door. It is very difficult to close. I need to put alot of pressure on the door to get the latch to catch the groove in the door jamb. Is there any adjustments in the handle, there is nothing you can adjust on the door jamb. The groove is cut right into the jamb itself. Anyone else run into this issue? Thanks Jamie

rick7t7

We've had our '09 Bighorn about a month now and have the same issue. No adjustments I could find of the latch. I guess we'll have to live with it. Just a minor aggravation.

jeff

The only adjustment I found was to remove the latch and take it apart. There is a spring inside that returns the handle to the latch position. I stretched that spring slightly so there is more force to return the handle. It seems to help the situation.

Jeff

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
You would think with all the Quality Control at Heartland, something like a door not latching would have been caught.:(

jpmorgan37

Jamie;

I suggest that you contact your dealer for a warranty repair or replacement. It is possible that when it left the factory that it did latch and with things shifting and settling on some of our less than perfect roads from Elkhart to Pennsylvania, it might have changed. That's why there is a warranty to cover adjustments and replacement of defective parts. It should not have been delivered to you if it doesn't latch.

John

Netem

If its like mine was the bottom hinge was hitting the door jam before the door got to the latch. I put a small block between the hinge on the screen door and the door jam and closed the screen door on it untill the hinge moved enough to let the door close.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
When the repairman installed my door and screen there were issues with the screen closing properly. He merely pulled or tapped, at different points, on the outside edge of the door and it adjusted perfectly. You will find the hinges are fairly flexible and adjust easily to make the screen door close and open properly.
Fred