Our Lil Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbo diesel tows Big!

Mikeobe

We bought the new Grand Cherokee Turbo diesel and within 2 months we bought our 2016 North Trail 26RLSS. I couldn't be happier with both. The lil Jeep tows like a herd of horses and delivers 15 plus MPG! Just so happy I had to Bragg! Thanks for reading. I am going to attempt to add a picture if I can figure out how to do so. Happy motoring and camping!

Attachments

• 1_IMG_0157.jpg
    1_IMG_0157.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 73

Ladiver

Very nice. I am also looking at the Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. Not for towing, just everyday driving and hauling the dogs. How do you like it while not towing? Any guess to fuel economy?

Mikeobe

Hi...the Jeep Grand Cherokee is an awesome suv. We have 2 dogs as well and need it to haul them and the North Trail around. When not towing the Eco diesel gets us 29 MPG and has more than enough power to pull. It will get around 19 mpg in the city. I am amazed at this Grand Cherokee! Take one for a test drive and see what i mean. Sounds like you spoil your pups too! I can not imagine life without a wagging tail around the house. Peace.

Gaffer

Does it come with an exhaust brake? What about tow/haul mode? It would be cool to have this motor in my TJ.

Last edited:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Glad you're happy with your new setup. It looks sharp!

JMHO, Cummins saved Chrysler. Trace

DW_Gray

Mike, congratulations on your purchase. That little 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 engine has plenty of power to tow that trailer as you have experienced. I would be remiss not to provide you a little caution though. With the published towing capacity up to 7,400 pounds and a short wheelbase of 114.8 inches, towing a 30 foot trailer with a GVWR of 8,600 pounds could be a little risky. Tow it, if you must, with some caution. I don't want to see you end up like this couple with a similar size rig: RV Accident - 2006 Tahoe vs. Travel Trailer

Be safe!

Mikeobe

Hi PJ
No exhaust brake, however it has a down hill desent botton which is great on steep grades. Also no tow/haul mode but some people will put the Jeep Grand Cherokee into sport mode while towing. It has an 8 speed trans and rarely hits 8th gear when towing. I also like the air ride/height control feature. I really love this Grand Cherokee!
Mike

Mikeobe

Hi Dave,
Wow!! thanks for the information. I realize that i am at the higher end of "safe towing" due to the wheel base. The Grand Cherokee its self does have anti sway feature from the factory as well. So far so good and will be careful. I also checked around after your post and to me, about a Hensly hitch. I now have a Equalizer brand anti sway. I think i may check into the Hensley hitch. I called Hensley and they were very informative. They say that the Hensley is not an anti sway but a no sway and is not based off a friction type set up but operates as if the trailer and tow vehicle are one. The only problem with that hitch is they are $2995.00 plus $150.00 for shipping! I guess thats not so bad if i can avoid an accident. Thanks for your feed back.
Mike & Sarah
Mukwonago Wi.
2016 Heart Land North Trail Caliber

DW_Gray

Hi Dave,
Wow!! thanks for the information. I realize that i am at the higher end of "safe towing" due to the wheel base. The Grand Cherokee its self does have anti sway feature from the factory as well. So far so good and will be careful. I also checked around after your post and to me, about a Hensly hitch. I now have a Equalizer brand anti sway. I think i may check into the Hensley hitch. I called Hensley and they were very informative. They say that the Hensley is not an anti sway but a no sway and is not based off a friction type set up but operates as if the trailer and tow vehicle are one. The only problem with that hitch is they are $2995.00 plus $150.00 for shipping! I guess thats not so bad if i can avoid an accident. Thanks for your feed back.
Mike & Sarah
Mukwonago Wi.
2016 Heart Land North Trail Caliber

You're welcome, Mike. I've heard and read nothing but great comments about the Hensley hitch. I believe it would be well worth it. As soon as you can, I recommend weighing your rig and get the 13-Point Weight Safety Report from FWS.