Noise when backing up my 22FBS travel trailer.

Ks.Kev

I noticed when backing up and positioning the NT 22FBS TT, I get a popping noise.
Especially when turning!
I looked at the suspension (that's where the popping sound is coming from) and all looks good.
Is this normal?

zombiejeep

Is it the hitch setup? My hitch snaps, crackles, and pops like crazy. it is normal though for a WD/anti-sway hitch to do that though.

jimtoo

When you hear the popping noise do you have your anti-sway bar still hooked up or tighten? With a TT it is not unusual for the hitch and swaybar to make noise when backing and turning.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
X3 on the WDH making noise. Yes, springs when twisted turning will make noise and it's normal.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Before backing up it is a good idea to loosen your sway bar and turn your trailer brakes off.

Some people will even take the torsion bars off before backing up as well.

However, if it was not making the popping sounds, I would be worried that the WD stuff wasn't set up right!

Ks.Kev

Yes the WDH is still attached when backing up, the wife said when I was backing up the sound of popping was coming from the suspension area.
Next time I'll get out and check it out a little closer!
Thanks all!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Trying to find out where sounds come from outside is tough. Sounds travel and like I said, any 2 axle trailers suspensions will make noise when they get twisted backing up. Next time you go camping, disconnect the WDH and see if the noise is still there. Do you put a light coat of grease on the hitch ball? Remember your really cranking the trailer hitch down on the ball with a WDH.

Ks.Kev

Trying to find out where sounds come from outside is tough. Sounds travel and like I said, any 2 axle trailers suspensions will make noise when they get twisted backing up. Next time you go camping, disconnect the WDH and see if the noise is still there. Do you put a light coat of grease on the hitch ball? Remember your really cranking the trailer hitch down on the ball with a WDH.

Bob&Patty,
Yep, I'll try disconnecting the WDH and see if that might be it.
Now on the greasing the ball hitch..... it's needing some, what kind of lube does everyone use?
Motor oil like 30 wt. or similar? But it's needing some for sure!
Thanks!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Bob&Patty,
Yep, I'll try disconnecting the WDH and see if that might be it.
Now on the greasing the ball hitch..... it's needing some, what kind of lube does everyone use?
Motor oil like 30 wt. or similar? But it's needing some for sure!
Thanks!

A squirt of WD40 is what I used to use on my regular ball hitch . . .

'Lil Guy'

That noise is normal and nothing to worry about when backing. Just make sure to disconnect the anti sway bar before any tight backing.