Antenna reception for North Trail 28dbss

Hello,

My family just bought a new 2016 North Trail 28bss and this is our first trailer. We have it at a sessional campsite right next to my bothers site, his trailer is less then 100' away. My brother has a different brand trailer and has absolutely no problem getting TV and radio reception. I can only get 1 TV channel and no radio stations are clear. Is there something I'm missing? A button to turn on the antenna or an antenna boost I need to buy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

danemayer

Hi Lammchop20,

Congratulations on the new North Trail and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You should have a signal booster, usually either in the living room or bedroom. It'll be where the coax connector comes out of the wall. ON for antenna TV, OFF for cable TV. If the LED on the signal booster is lit, it should be ON.

If you've aimed the antenna, and have then done a channel search on the TV, but still aren't getting good reception:

Check the 12V DC fuses. The one to the signal booster could be blown. Most rigs have an indicator LED next to the fuse. If the booster is ON, the indicator next to the fuse will be lit if the fuse is blown. The signal booster LED can get enough power from that indicator to light up even when the fuse is blown.

Also check the coax connectors. It's not unheard of to have a loose connector or bad crimp. Check for stray ground wire strands that might be shorted to the center conductor.

Hopefully it'll be something easy.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Probably on the cable/coax connection by the living room TV there should be a little red button . . . press that before you scan for channels.

A little red light should come on when you press the red button.

Two things I did . . .

1) Replaced the batwing antenna with a JackTV antenna (under $50 at Camping World).

The JackTV antenna fits right on the same pole as the batwing . . . takes less than 5 minutes to install and pulls in so many more channels!

attachment.php

2) Bought a TV signal meter ($35 at Camping World).

And the signal meter is awesome . . . turn it on and rotate the antenna until the LED's light up!

Then scan the TV for channels.

attachment.php

Attachments

• JackTVup-IMG_3935.jpg
    JackTVup-IMG_3935.jpg
    655.9 KB · Views: 88
  • TVsignalFinder.jpg
    TVsignalFinder.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 93