Alarm System

'Lil Guy'

Does anyone have an alarm system hooked up in their RV? I'm referring to an alarm that sounds off when the door is opened. Not monitored, just some noise to hopefully have the person leave. It would have to have a short time cycle on it. Is this something people do while they are away from their campsite?
Thanks in advance.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You could probably rig one up with a magnetic switch and a sounding device of some sort. But, if they go through the trouble of defeating the door lock, a small noise maker might not scare them off. And unless your neighbors are around and awake, who's going to hear it?

Now, if you're concerned for security while you're in the trailer, a barrel latch attached to the inside of the screen door makes it very difficult to open the door, even if the outer door is unlocked.

'Lil Guy'

I'm not concerned when we are at the site. We'll just be doing so much sight seeing and such and could be gone for a day or two. Just thinking that an annoying alarm might scare off a would be thief.

rdufek

I do not. It would definitely be very easy to install an alarm system but I have never felt a need to. Every campground I've ever been to the people have been very friendly and I never felt a need to alarm my trailer. I do have a small safe in my trailer to put my valuables in. Other than that I do not feel a need to secure my unit other than that. People leave more valuables outside un-secured than what they have inside and they are left alone, IMHO. I'm not saying there are not thieves out there when camping but I feel they a few and far in between compared to residential neighborhoods.

Bob and Valerie

GOTTOYS

No alarm for me. Never had a problem. More often than not the door is unlocked. Not much inside worth taking. I leave things outside all the time, never a problem there either. If it was like a car alarm who pays attention anyway. Most of the time they go off for no reason then the neighbors are stuck listening to the piece of junk until you come back to reset it...Don

'Lil Guy'

I've never had any issues and always have left my things out at our campsites. I was just wandering if anyone uses such device while away on extended trips. You're not always going to be in a nice park during travels.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Been all over the country since I was a boy can't say we ever had any concerns about security of our equipment (from tents boat camper or gear) while in a CG or RV park. Although last year in Vegas at Sams Town we were instructed to make sure our bicycles were secured. We do lock up if we leave the area to sightsee but still chairs grill etc are out otherwise things are usually unlocked or even open if we're close by.
Currently in Seward Alaska

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
[QUOTE=baker;428560. You're not always going to be in a nice park during travels.

I guess we each have our own definition of "nice" but if we don't have a good first impression when we pull in I keep right on going. I'm not so frugal that IF we've made a reservation I need to stay just because they have a nights fee already.
Because we don't routinely make advance reservations losing some cash to hold a spot seldom happens. We do research via the internet potential overnight CG and RV parks and by doing some homework a day or so in advance we have a good idea about our next destination/stop.
Believe me though we have pulled into some with every intention of staying until we arrived but kept right on going.
Also we may only sign up for a night or two initially just to see how things are and then add more nights which is exactly what we did at our current spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

I wouldn't have any concerns in a nice RV park or campground. I think there is a lot of mutual respect to be had by all. We've never had any issues whether in state parks or RV parks. I was just wondering about the full timers that carry a lot of more valuable items with them since this is their home. I'm no more worried about my guns being stolen from the RV than I am with them in my house other than the fact my house locks up tighter and is monitored. Everybody we've run into or camped around have been super nice and seem to look out for each other.
So my question was, does anyone use an alarm for a deterent if needed on the one in a million chance it would be needed? It seems the answer is no.