BR Slide Repair and Cargo Door Replacement Advice

richiek

Hello All:

Thanks for any thoughts advice in advance. Yesterday when we were packing up to head home from our Myrtle Beach trip, in an attempt to speed things up, my wife closed the master bedroom slide while the left side cargo door was still open. Well, as (bad)luck would have it, the slide caught the front latch and ripped it from the door thus ruining it. The slide where it caught is slightly bent but looks like it could repaired by a skilled metal worker. The door, however, will need to be replaced. I looked at it and it appears to be a fairly easy replacement since its attached to the camper by six metal screws. I think that I can replace the door myself but I can't seem to find a parts list anywhere. So, my question is this: should I contact Heartland directly for the part of the dealer that I purchased it from? Also, I'll need to take it to a repair shop to fix the slide but I'm assuming that most dealers do this kind of work. It that correct? Thanks again for any thoughts. I can post pics of the damage if that would help. Thanks again.

Richie

danemayer

Hi Richie,

Sorry about the crunch. You can order the door directly from Heartland and install it yourself. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

I'd discuss it first with Customer Service. You didn't mention the model/floor plan or age of your rig, but more recent builds have the door's upward motion limited to prevent this from happening. Perhaps they'll help you out in some way. At the very least they should be able to give you some guidance on how to install the new door so it doesn't happen in the future.

Another way to keep the slide and door apart is to put corner guards on the slide. They'll not only prevent this from happening, but they'll also protect your head if you walk into the corner of the slide. Here's a link.