TT vs FIVER

prae35

We started full timing last year but not traveling to much. We did make a 2 week trip to KC(about 3,000 mile trip). we learned a lot about towing our 2850BH.in the flat lands I filled all the tanks(ballast). when we were in Ozarks I would run with them empty. this seems to work. My question is does the fifth wheel set up pull better in the wind? is it worth the larger investment? We will go on the road full time in about 2 years.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Drive in some gusty winds today. With a fiver and dually, we barely noticed. Did pass a travel trailer having a time keeping it straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No direct experience here but just consider the physics of the tow point well behind the rear axle... It's a tail wagging a tail, as in every movement of the TV is magnified and applied to the trailer. There are hitches that improve upon this but frankly one of the reasons 5vers tow well is because the tow point is never behind the axle . You can even tell this by observing the big rigs when they are towing multiples.

jam20ster

Just this past week we traded up from a TT to a 44' 5er. I have a F350 Dually that i hauled both with and I can tell you there is a big difference between the 2.

My TT weighed 8850 dry and my new 5er weighs almost 16,000 dry. The TT squatted my dually as bad if not worse than the 5er that weighs twice the weight. TT have problems with sway, even with the sway control setups. On the 5er I dont experience sway. As you are probably aware when you tow a TT for long periods of time it can wear you out physically and mentally.

The TT squatted my dually as bad if not worse than the 5er that weighs twice the weight.

you must have had some serious weight distribution hitch on that TT, or you over loaded the front lol. AT 10% on the tongue, you would have less than 1000 lbs (without WD) up there, but a 16000 lb 5ver with 25% on the pin would have loaded the axle with 4,000 lbs!

jam20ster

No weight distribution used. I have a F350 dually. Just goes to show how weight placed on the very end (TT) is accentiated vs weight directly over axles. Did have to add some more pressure to air bags, but I guess what I meant originally was that even with the the major difference is payload weight the truck actually drove/pulled 5er better.

TT was a 36' triple slide, so it was no small TT.
5er is a 44'.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
We looked at TTs and 5th wheels starting three years ago when we knew we wanted to buy an RV. When talking to campers one thing we heard that never changed was a 5th wheel setup was a lot safer way to tow an RV. Having owned our Landmark for seven months and putting 5,000 miles on it we totally agree. Even with 30 mph winds in New Mexico we always felt safe and at the same time we would see TTs pulling over for they had a hard time keeping in their lane.

EPaulikonis

We started full timing last year but not traveling to much. We did make a 2 week trip to KC(about 3,000 mile trip). we learned a lot about towing our 2850BH.in the flat lands I filled all the tanks(ballast). when we were in Ozarks I would run with them empty. this seems to work. My question is does the fifth wheel set up pull better in the wind? is it worth the larger investment? We will go on the road full time in about 2 years.

Pulls better period! Setup of a 5er is all about the moment arms created by pin weight directly over the rear axle. My TT was tiny, a 4,500lb. pop-up with a toy-hauler deck and it would misbehave behind the truck (Ram 1500). It would toss us around when we hit a bump on the highway, it would drift in a good crosswind (Wyoming 65-mph club), and it seemed to always travel differently backing up depending on the hitch height and terrain. The 5er I run is usually weighed down in the 15,500lb range and it handles way better than the pop-up. Backing the rig is also more predictable because you don't get different angles due to frame twist and torque like you do on a TT connected to the bumper.

I also have the added benefit of additional control because I "chose" to run a dually; many other owners run SRW, but I felt the GVWR of the trailer necessitated the dually setup. I was within 10% of a SRW capability, and that's just not enough wiggle room IMHO to risk $50K of my hard earned cash on a truck I'd have to replace if I wasn't happy with how it pulled/stopped/controlled the load during tow. I wanted enough truck to handle the max trailer weight and then some. More than pleased with the 5er and 1-ton I chose. Best of luck.

justafordguy

I agree with everyone else, I went from a 31' TT to a 41' 5er with the same truck and the difference is night and day. With the 5er you will rarely even notice the wind from nature or Semi-trucks.

Bohemian

Just remember, the 5th wheel will put more weight on the truck even if it is the same length and weight. Thus it is more likely to exceed the GVWR or rear axle WR.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I pulled a 29ft. bumper pull trailer (2013 Heartland Trail Runner) with my current truck, and I didn't have any issues with it.

I did have a WD setup and I knew how to hook it up correctly, however, which can be a big difference in handling!

I've only pulled our new 5th-wheel once . . . 40 miles from the dealership to the house, and I was impressed, but I'll really find out in two days when we haul out for our first campout with it!

I'll let you know!

Last edited:

pegmikef

Both have pros and cons, but if you get a fiver then make sure you get the level up system or you will be sorry you didn't! That is one of the pluses of the Heartland Fivers and it sure speeds up set up and tear down.