PDA

View Full Version : Gps ?

jonesj2
03-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Ok, I am totally confused, I am in the process of trying to figure out which GPS is the best for the money, features and accessories. I have looked at the Garmin NUVI 200 and the TomTom 3rd Generation and feel both are about equal, minus the SD card slot. I have read reviews, looked at them at stores but not sure which one is the best. So please give me some feed back if you have one of these or one from another company.

I guess my problem is that I am use to the an older Garmin GPS 5 and love to add waypoints and navigate to several locations or routes at one time. I do not see this capability on the newer systems.

sealman
03-30-2008, 07:27 PM
We have the Garmin Nuvi 660, and like it very much. Sorry to say it is religated to the Jeep, as the TV and Infinti have factory navigation. Stevie Wonder has the Tom Tom, you may want to ask him about it.
Good luck,
John

mrcomer
03-30-2008, 07:35 PM
jonesj2,
We have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and really love it. Would like to upgrade to the 660 which is the wider screen but do not really need to. We pretty much just listen to it and go where it tells us.

Good luck in your search,
Mark

goldenbetty
03-30-2008, 07:49 PM
We like this one because it gives you the info audibly. Not sure if the 200 does. You can update it from the website too.

Oldlthrneck
03-30-2008, 07:54 PM
We just bought the Microsoft Streets &Trips. DW is the navigator and she loves it. I will get her to chime in on it as soon as she gets her new badge in Pogo. lol
Fred

sislv
03-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Ok, I am totally confused, I am in the process of trying to figure out which GPS is the best for the money, features and accessories. I have looked at the Garmin NUVI 200 and the TomTom 3rd Generation and feel both are about equal, minus the SD card slot. I have read reviews, looked at them at stores but not sure which one is the best. So please give me some feed back if you have one of these or one from another company.

I guess my problem is that I am use to the an older Garmin GPS 5 and love to add waypoints and navigate to several locations or routes at one time. I do not see this capability on the newer systems.

We looked at quite a few GPS a year ago and narrowed it down to the Garmin nuvi 750 GPS. The main feature I wanted was to have the capability to add multiple waypoints easily, and be able to plan a route using their Mapsource software on our laptop. That way I can plan a route on the laptop and download it to the nuvi 750. You would be happy with the multiple route/waypoints features. We've been pleased also with the POI library it has, also you can easily update the units firmware or the Mapsource software using their "Webupdate" feature. Take a good look at their features and specs.

Here's the Web Page:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=10625

Cheers..........

Oldlthrnecksgirl
03-30-2008, 08:23 PM
I love it for a few reasons,,, replying to Oldlthrneck here. One, instead of the touted 4-5 inch screen, I, the Navigator, gets to use my 17" screen. I can preplan routes and move their sequence up and down, delete them, add, etc and its so easy. "Midge" is pretty smart knowing when we go off route even when we just stop to fuel up. She recalculated our route about ten times just trying to get off the naval base today because we had to use a certain gate to get out with our rig. I like the fact I can preprogram in our mileage and fuel costs and get a pretrip idea of what the trip will cost for deisel. I can also play solitaire and check my email enroute too, lol,,, Lizzy

ct0218
03-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Gail's Armada has a factory GPS system, and I use Delorme and Microsoft S & T on my laptop. I like the 17 inch screen, and it is more convenient than the others I have used. I use a laptop mount in my truck so it is close, but the only drawback is that it is not portable like some of the others.

DougLynne
03-31-2008, 08:13 PM
We also are looking and I have been using the following site for reviews, he seems to give a fairly comprehensive review...../Doug
www.gpsmagazine.com/reviews.php (http://www.gpsmagazine.com/reviews.php)

caddojay
03-31-2008, 09:37 PM
We just got the Nuvi 650 and we're transitioning from the analog fold up maps to the screen. D/W likes to "read" books on tape, and she says this will hold 3 complete books. Man, technology is a great thing...when it works. I'll keep the maps handy. I still don't understand the books on tape. They remind me of when I was a kid and make me sleepy.

BluegrassMan
03-31-2008, 11:48 PM
I recently bought the Nuvi 360, it's mainly for my motorcycle use. The 200 series does NOT have text to voice. Other words, the 200's can't name the street to turn on. It will just say turn right. It also won't tell you what side of the street your destination is. I bought the 360 for an "earplug" jack, that way I don't have to look down at it.
Go to Circuit City online and read the reviews on GPS', The Tom Tom 3rd edition is gettin a BAD reputation for what they call "The White Screen OF Death" or WSOD. I don't know about any of the other Tom Toms. I just looked at Nuvi's after reading that. I have the factory Nav. in my 08' Ford. I suspect that it is a Magelan, don't know for sure. We call her "Gina".

TXBobcat
04-02-2008, 04:02 PM
I found this website to be very informative..
http://www.gpsreview.net/

I have a StreetPilot 2610. Would like a bigger screen but I don't want all the gizmos on it.. I just want a real good GPS, not Xradio, text, and such..

Ray LeTourneau
04-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Great link TXBobcat. We have the Garmin Streetpilot C340. It has led us astray on a couple of occasions but I think they all do that on occasion. The woman inside my GPS seems to get a bit of an attitude if I make her "recalculate" too many times. I can hear it in her voice.

kaiserrw
04-02-2008, 05:13 PM
I have a TomTom920 and wish I could field test it next to a Garmin660. Features I like on the TT920 include voice recognition for destination address, bluetooth technology for hands-free cell phone operations (it imports the phone book), large screen, and fast recalculation of route if one does not follow the path suggested.
What I do not like is the inaccuracies of address locations and lack of timely updated roadway improvements. Last week I traversed over route 60/63 in MO and the TT920 indicated I was out in the pasture. The roadbed has been in place now for 2 years. I asked TomTom about it this week and they passed it off to the high rate of highway improvements that occurs continuously. A 2 yr lag is not my idea of High Reliance and Excellent Performance, but .... I have it now.

theharveys
04-02-2008, 06:45 PM
I have the CindyHarvey Map Reader 2008 edition. I like everything about her except how she makes me slow down on the freeway, won't let me follow the car ahead too closely, and cusses at me if I make a wrong turn LOL. She is always as current as the map in her lap, and can give instant traffic condition reporting as soon as she sees it out the windshield. Plus I take her out of the truck at night so she cannot be stolen.
WFM :rolleyes::p:eek:

TXBobcat
04-02-2008, 10:18 PM
One thing you have to understand about the GPS. Each company does not go out and check each street to see if it is still being use and the new ones are completed.

They all use a common databases from the Fed, State, county & local. I was going from my daughters house to a campground about 10 miles away. The GPS software (I have the 2008 version of Garmin.. Had to pay for the upgrade).

As I went down the 3 lane (3 each side) divided road it told me turn right, go about 4 blocks, turn left and go 3 blocks turn left and go 2 blocks made a couple of more turns and took me back to the same road. I could tell it was messed up so I just kept going. Yep I took the short root. I think it is a conspiracy of the Oil companies. Get us to go off the closest route so we would use more Diesel.

Also I went into the setup for Mable and told her not to tell me about recalculation of the routes.

I like the GPS even though I know the data is not 100% dependable. I normally use Streets & Trips to check out the route I want to take, distances I want to travel and such. Program my Garmin to a similar route. Another positive for Mable is that when I am just running around a unfamiliar area and I need to get back to where my Bighorn is located I just tell it I want to go to the RV Park and off we go. Always gets me home.

leftyf
04-03-2008, 02:20 AM
I kinda lost a lot of faith in GPS roadmaps...when it told me to move to the left lane and prepare to exit left....I never did find a left exit off the Jersey Turnpike.

Draco Dog
04-19-2008, 02:06 AM
We have a GARMIN NUVI 200 series. I am not bonding with this GPS. It will tell me to take turns when it is not possible, etc. Maybe it is just me, but I cannot figure out this *&#$@!)&% piece of equipment. Does anyone else have this same GPS. If so, do you have trouble with it?????? I'm about ready to throw it in the ocean.

snuffy
04-19-2008, 03:46 AM
We have a GARMIN NUVI 200 series. I am not bonding with this GPS. It will tell me to take turns when it is not possible, etc. Maybe it is just me, but I cannot figure out this *&#$@!)&% piece of equipment. Does anyone else have this same GPS. If so, do you have trouble with it?????? I'm about ready to throw it in the ocean.

I have a Nuvi 250W and sometimes it takes 10 minutes to acquire the satellites and once it was about 3 streets behind me. They're not perfect, but work pretty good most of the time, especially if you in an area that you're not familiar with. But then that's the only time you really need it.
Mine doesn't like the route I take to work, even though it is the shortest and fastest. Go figure.

fhollan
04-19-2008, 07:23 AM
I've got a Nuvi 350 and I use it mostly for unfamiliar territory. I especially like it when I have to enter a address. It has always taken me there without any problems. Last year for example to Salt Lake City, first time there, punched in the address at the last rest stop on I-80 before entering the city. Took me there without any problems. They're good in finding gas stations. They can be udated through the internet. The're not always perfect. But I'm satisfied with this one.

marilymar
05-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Just purchased a Garmin Nuvi 660. Have not used yet,, but wonder how they work when pulling the big 5th wheel. Don't want to get into a situation where there would be a underpass not high enough for the TT or a weight limit problem! Probably no way to put those type of perimeters in the GPS. Any experience out there using the GPS with a large TT?

firefighter37
05-07-2008, 08:16 AM
I have the Nuvi 200W and I am well satisfied with it. It does take a little time to locate the satellite, but not unbearable. I do agree that the route I would normally take to work is not the one that the GPS recommends, but I don't use the GPS to go to work. I find that the routes the GPS gives is the same routes that Mapquest gives. It seems that they route you through the more traveled or major roads. All that being said I like and use mine.

STEVE HERMANSON
05-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Here's another vote for the Garmin Nuvi 750. We love ours. The screen (4.3") is easy to read, the audible is very good, especially when run thru your FM receiver. I pretty much agree with it's routing. Has several other features, like photo viewing that we haven't used yet but look handy. No complaints at all. Found it brand new on Ebay for about $360

TXBobcat
05-14-2008, 09:33 AM
One of the things you can do on a Garmin is tell it you want it to direct you and you are a Truck. Now it will take you some places you may not normally go because it might be hard for a truck to go there.. If you change it to Car and Motorcycle it will take you to different routes..

As I fulltime I like to just run around and look at different places. If it was not for my Garmin I would never make it back to the campsite. Garmin has a waypoint you can click called home.. Everytime I stop at a campground I click the home waypoint and that gets me back.

My DW is not a computer person, so I am not able to use the laptop and Streets & Trips while on the road. Now if she is driving that is another story. And she is a good driver. Backs better than I do..

DougLynne
05-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Just bought the Nuvi 750. Also updated to the 2009 maps and loaded in a bunch of POI files. We really like the it and it is easy to use, directions good and re-calculation of route is quick. Here is a site with lots of additional Points of Interest files.
www.poi-factory.com (http://www.poi-factory.com)

1duffer101
05-19-2008, 10:44 PM
I use the DeLorme Street Atlas with a LT-40 hooked to my macbook running windows. I get a 13" screen. I take the laptop with me when I travel. My Chevy 2500 has navigation but the system is not that great. Also map already out of date (could not find an address in San Luis Obispo that was 4 years old) and it was a 2007 buy. Chevy dealer said it was $450 to get a new disk (what a ripoff).

PUG
07-23-2008, 11:52 AM
I had a Magellan and hated it. Too hard to get around in it and poor support. I just purchased a Garmin Nuvi 260W after watching my brothers Nuvi 700 something and really liking how easy it was to get around in it. I didn't want to spend the money for the 700 series and don't need the FM/ Road Hazard/ Bluetooth/ etc. junk. I just want a easy to use GPS and the 260W does that. One thing it doesn't have as you said you wanted is the routing. YOu can go from point A to Point B with one via point but that is not a biggee to me. When I get to where I want to go I just put in the next location as saved in my favorites and away we go. Not a problem. Buying any Nuvi right now you get the 2009 maps update free if it is not already loaded. I have one other Garmin that i use for trail riding and it has been a rock solid dependable and easy to use gps.

fmurray3
07-23-2008, 12:36 PM
I have the Garmin Zumo 450 and am like some of the others I can plan the whole trip on the laptop including fuel stops using waypoints. The Zumo is also made for use on motorcycles and is used for trips on out Harley's, therefore no matter what vehicle we use the Zumo will fit and work on it.

rjr6150
07-23-2008, 08:15 PM
We have the Garmin 760 recently upgraded from a C330 and love it. Would recommend getting the sandbag type mount as the suction cup did our C330 let go on one hot day and the screen caught my console. Cost to replace the screen $150 and being able to buy the 760 at cost thought what the heck.

deee2
07-23-2008, 09:46 PM
We just got the Garmin Nuvi 680. The 660 would have been fine, but we got the 680 for the same price. The only difference is the 680 has MSN Direct free for a year. No good to us on the West Coast, as it has verrrrrrry few coverage areas. But we LOVE the unit. Have been playing with it testing it out before our big trip in August. The grand-daughter was in the car wanting to know "who was that"? So I said Nancy. Nancy has stuck, and she goes with us from now on. lol Must be my new sister.

Donna ;)

deee2
07-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Oh, I forgot... thanks to the advice on here we got a sandbag to go with it, and NOT the Garmin one. It's terrific! We take Nancy from truck to car or out of both, so it's quite handy.

Donna :)

Fordsd250
07-24-2008, 03:37 PM
What is the sand bag mount?? I need something other than the suction cup mount. We are having a lot of hot days and I can't keep my Garmin on the dash.:confused:

rjr6150
07-24-2008, 07:33 PM
You have two choices that I know of one is direct to the Garmin site and check under accessories or the company I work for Cabela's sell a universal sand bag go to cabelas.com and type in the upper right corner set # 523253
NavMat Portable GPS Dash Mount Item:IJ-523253$24.99

deee2
07-24-2008, 09:13 PM
We didn't like the Garmin one, but really like the one we got at Best Buy. It may be the one Randy & Kathy mentioned, not sure. It's a good sized circle, filled with sand and the bottom is slip resistant. You mouth your GPS into that using the suction, and it doesn't go anyplace. The sandbag itself just sits on your dash, and doesn't seem to slip so far. The nice thing is you can easily lift it off to use in your other vehicle or to hide from view.

Donna :)

morganm12
08-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Hello all;
Does anyone use the copilot laptop gps. It has a RV feature and 12'6" and 13' overpass warning. I just bought one but am considering returning it for the garmin Mobil pc software version. The copilot voice only tells you to exit but not what exit. It also has a problem when we put in an address it doesn't like. My Ruth gps system on occasion sent me the wrong way when I was low on fuel.

trdeal
05-18-2009, 05:39 AM
As I said in a recent post we were in Florida last week on vacation.We left around 1:30 pm on Friday the 8th.We arrived in Atlanta,Ga around 6:30 and decided to eat supper and spend the night there and drive the remaining 5 hrs to Panama Beach on Saturday.Well when we got back in the truck on Saturday morning,boy was I surprised. All my stuff was out of the center console and my gps was gone. Now ,I know I locked the truck,all windows up.There was no sign that anyone had broken in.But my Garmin was gone.That was all they got.Maybe I did not lock the truck,but I never get out of the truck without locking it.My son tells me that a thief can use some type of a device that will record my unlock code when I use my key fobe then all they have to do of course is use the code to unlock the doors. Anyway we reported it to the hotel and the guy at the desk said well you should have taken it in with us because times are hard.Yes times are hard,but that did not make it right for someone to take my stuff.I did not like his attitude at all.I knew they nor the law could do nothing to help me,but I felt the hotel needed to know they had a problem.Anyway Garmin has a new home and we had a safe,wonderful trip.

davebennington
05-18-2009, 06:10 AM
Terry,

Sorry to hear about your loss, I hope you did not have "home" programmed in your GPS as this is a way the low life's are using to steal more from you, now they have directions to your front door.

Dave

kakampers
05-18-2009, 06:13 AM
Terry...sorry to hear about your GPS being stolen. Future DIL just had her's stolen and her car window broken out to get it. We've been told to remove ALL indication of a GPS, i.e., suction cup, wiring, etc. and to take the unit with us, for this very reason.

We have been researching GPS's in the last week or so and also just got one. Decided on the Garmin 885...the reasoning is that I navigate but also drive separately in our small car...can't check maps when driving so I wanted something I could "talk" to and make adjustments when necessary. So far, after some adjusting by the folks at Garmin...it downloaded the wrong set of maps...they had to fix that...it seems to be doing pretty good.

Earlier someone asked about using it for height information...NO Garmin unit has the capability to provide that info YET...Garmin is introducing, sometime in June, the 465T. This unit is specifically designed for the trucking industry and is supposed to have that much sought after capability, along with width restrictions and other truck info. It will cost $500, and you can place orders right now at the Best Buy website.

TxBobcat...not all Garmins will let you change from car to truck...it is mostly the older streetpilot units that do this. Most, if not all of the Nuvi units do NOT. Mine will only allow car, bike and pedestrian changes...wish it would give me that option.

We're getting ready to really test it as we're headed from PA to Missouri for the Escapade...will let you guys know how well it does...keep your fingers crossed...;)

Bobby A
05-18-2009, 07:41 AM
I just picked up the Garmin 885 at Costco online, its on sale this month only for 299.99. I heard its over 600.00 at Best Buy. Sounds like a good deal to me, I to wish Garmin had that truck feature though.

cemill
05-18-2009, 07:50 AM
We have the NUVI 750. Works like a charm. One feature I really like is the ability to play back directions through the truck stereo.

Bobby A
05-18-2009, 08:24 AM
We have the NUVI 750. Works like a charm. One feature I really like is the ability to play back directions through the truck stereo.

I have the 750 also and love it, the only reason I got the new 885 is it has the new lane assist feature. I think thats a GREAT feature to have especially when your pulling close to 40 feet behind you. Once I get aquainted with the new 885 I will sell the 750 on e-bay.

cjbearden
05-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Please don't take offense, but after being so frustrated with erroneous directions from Garmin and listening to "recalculating", we switched to Tom Tom 920 last year. On sale through Amazon right now for a much better price than we paid at Office Depot.
http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-920-Portable-Vehicle-Navigator/dp/B000VLHN9E/ref=tag_tdp_ptcn_edpp_url

There is a new version now (940). For now, we will stick with the 920 and the new Pro Clip vent mount we recently found that works so much better than a dash mount on a Dodge.

We like the ability to update daily and instantly send in changes we find by connecting the unit to a computer each night. The 920 has voice capability. Unless Garmin has changed, their map updates were expensive and really didn't give us very current information.

What works for one person may not work for another. Also, the 920 allows switching from car to truck to walking to motorcycle.