Gps ?

jonesj2

Ok, I am totally confused, I am in the process of trying to figure out which GPS is the best for the money, features and accessories. I have looked at the Garmin NUVI 200 and the TomTom 3rd Generation and feel both are about equal, minus the SD card slot. I have read reviews, looked at them at stores but not sure which one is the best. So please give me some feed back if you have one of these or one from another company.

I guess my problem is that I am use to the an older Garmin GPS 5 and love to add waypoints and navigate to several locations or routes at one time. I do not see this capability on the newer systems.

sealman

We have the Garmin Nuvi 660, and like it very much. Sorry to say it is religated to the Jeep, as the TV and Infinti have factory navigation. Stevie Wonder has the Tom Tom, you may want to ask him about it.
Good luck,
John

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
jonesj2,
We have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and really love it. Would like to upgrade to the 660 which is the wider screen but do not really need to. We pretty much just listen to it and go where it tells us.

Good luck in your search,
Mark

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Nuvi 250

We like this one because it gives you the info audibly. Not sure if the 200 does. You can update it from the website too.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
We just bought the Microsoft Streets &Trips. DW is the navigator and she loves it. I will get her to chime in on it as soon as she gets her new badge in Pogo. lol
Fred

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Ok, I am totally confused, I am in the process of trying to figure out which GPS is the best for the money, features and accessories. I have looked at the Garmin NUVI 200 and the TomTom 3rd Generation and feel both are about equal, minus the SD card slot. I have read reviews, looked at them at stores but not sure which one is the best. So please give me some feed back if you have one of these or one from another company.

I guess my problem is that I am use to the an older Garmin GPS 5 and love to add waypoints and navigate to several locations or routes at one time. I do not see this capability on the newer systems.

We looked at quite a few GPS a year ago and narrowed it down to the Garmin nuvi 750 GPS. The main feature I wanted was to have the capability to add multiple waypoints easily, and be able to plan a route using their Mapsource software on our laptop. That way I can plan a route on the laptop and download it to the nuvi 750. You would be happy with the multiple route/waypoints features. We've been pleased also with the POI library it has, also you can easily update the units firmware or the Mapsource software using their "Webupdate" feature. Take a good look at their features and specs.

Here's the Web Page:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=10625

Cheers..........

Last edited:

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
I love it for a few reasons,,, replying to Oldlthrneck here. One, instead of the touted 4-5 inch screen, I, the Navigator, gets to use my 17" screen. I can preplan routes and move their sequence up and down, delete them, add, etc and its so easy. "Midge" is pretty smart knowing when we go off route even when we just stop to fuel up. She recalculated our route about ten times just trying to get off the naval base today because we had to use a certain gate to get out with our rig. I like the fact I can preprogram in our mileage and fuel costs and get a pretrip idea of what the trip will cost for deisel. I can also play solitaire and check my email enroute too, lol,,, Lizzy

ct0218

Gail's Armada has a factory GPS system, and I use Delorme and Microsoft S & T on my laptop. I like the 17 inch screen, and it is more convenient than the others I have used. I use a laptop mount in my truck so it is close, but the only drawback is that it is not portable like some of the others.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
We just got the Nuvi 650 and we're transitioning from the analog fold up maps to the screen. D/W likes to "read" books on tape, and she says this will hold 3 complete books. Man, technology is a great thing...when it works. I'll keep the maps handy. I still don't understand the books on tape. They remind me of when I was a kid and make me sleepy.

BluegrassMan

I recently bought the Nuvi 360, it's mainly for my motorcycle use. The 200 series does NOT have text to voice. Other words, the 200's can't name the street to turn on. It will just say turn right. It also won't tell you what side of the street your destination is. I bought the 360 for an "earplug" jack, that way I don't have to look down at it.
Go to Circuit City online and read the reviews on GPS', The Tom Tom 3rd edition is gettin a BAD reputation for what they call "The White Screen OF Death" or WSOD. I don't know about any of the other Tom Toms. I just looked at Nuvi's after reading that. I have the factory Nav. in my 08' Ford. I suspect that it is a Magelan, don't know for sure. We call her "Gina".

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Great link TXBobcat. We have the Garmin Streetpilot C340. It has led us astray on a couple of occasions but I think they all do that on occasion. The woman inside my GPS seems to get a bit of an attitude if I make her "recalculate" too many times. I can hear it in her voice.

kaiserrw

I have a TomTom920 and wish I could field test it next to a Garmin660. Features I like on the TT920 include voice recognition for destination address, bluetooth technology for hands-free cell phone operations (it imports the phone book), large screen, and fast recalculation of route if one does not follow the path suggested.
What I do not like is the inaccuracies of address locations and lack of timely updated roadway improvements. Last week I traversed over route 60/63 in MO and the TT920 indicated I was out in the pasture. The roadbed has been in place now for 2 years. I asked TomTom about it this week and they passed it off to the high rate of highway improvements that occurs continuously. A 2 yr lag is not my idea of High Reliance and Excellent Performance, but .... I have it now.

theharveys

I have the CindyHarvey Map Reader 2008 edition. I like everything about her except how she makes me slow down on the freeway, won't let me follow the car ahead too closely, and cusses at me if I make a wrong turn LOL. She is always as current as the map in her lap, and can give instant traffic condition reporting as soon as she sees it out the windshield. Plus I take her out of the truck at night so she cannot be stolen.
WFM :rolleyes::p:eek:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
One thing you have to understand about the GPS. Each company does not go out and check each street to see if it is still being use and the new ones are completed.

They all use a common databases from the Fed, State, county & local. I was going from my daughters house to a campground about 10 miles away. The GPS software (I have the 2008 version of Garmin.. Had to pay for the upgrade).

As I went down the 3 lane (3 each side) divided road it told me turn right, go about 4 blocks, turn left and go 3 blocks turn left and go 2 blocks made a couple of more turns and took me back to the same road. I could tell it was messed up so I just kept going. Yep I took the short root. I think it is a conspiracy of the Oil companies. Get us to go off the closest route so we would use more Diesel.

Also I went into the setup for Mable and told her not to tell me about recalculation of the routes.

I like the GPS even though I know the data is not 100% dependable. I normally use Streets & Trips to check out the route I want to take, distances I want to travel and such. Program my Garmin to a similar route. Another positive for Mable is that when I am just running around a unfamiliar area and I need to get back to where my Bighorn is located I just tell it I want to go to the RV Park and off we go. Always gets me home.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I kinda lost a lot of faith in GPS roadmaps...when it told me to move to the left lane and prepare to exit left....I never did find a left exit off the Jersey Turnpike.

Draco Dog

We have a GARMIN NUVI 200 series. I am not bonding with this GPS. It will tell me to take turns when it is not possible, etc. Maybe it is just me, but I cannot figure out this *&#$@!)&% piece of equipment. Does anyone else have this same GPS. If so, do you have trouble with it?????? I'm about ready to throw it in the ocean.

snuffy

We have a GARMIN NUVI 200 series. I am not bonding with this GPS. It will tell me to take turns when it is not possible, etc. Maybe it is just me, but I cannot figure out this *&#$@!)&% piece of equipment. Does anyone else have this same GPS. If so, do you have trouble with it?????? I'm about ready to throw it in the ocean.

I have a Nuvi 250W and sometimes it takes 10 minutes to acquire the satellites and once it was about 3 streets behind me. They're not perfect, but work pretty good most of the time, especially if you in an area that you're not familiar with. But then that's the only time you really need it.
Mine doesn't like the route I take to work, even though it is the shortest and fastest. Go figure.

fhollan

Nuvi 350

I've got a Nuvi 350 and I use it mostly for unfamiliar territory. I especially like it when I have to enter a address. It has always taken me there without any problems. Last year for example to Salt Lake City, first time there, punched in the address at the last rest stop on I-80 before entering the city. Took me there without any problems. They're good in finding gas stations. They can be udated through the internet. The're not always perfect. But I'm satisfied with this one.