Accident Averted

MCTalley

I know we all tend to be very attentive while driving our rigs down the interstate. At least I hope we are. I'm always driving ahead (watching several cars distant to watch for anything happening) as much as possible. I even often scope out escape routes in the event something might happen. I had an incident today that shows that it doesn't take much to distract us.

We were driving in the right lane on I-30 west between Little Rock and Texarkana. There was a line of about six vehicles in the left lane stacked up behind a semi truck that was passing a semi truck in the right lane. The two semi trucks were approximately side by side about 1/4 mile ahead of us. The last vehicle in the line behind them was maybe 100 feet ahead of us.

I heard a kinda faint explosion noise that I knew was a tire, followed by a flap-flap-flap sound. Of course, the first thing we think (even though my TPMS didn't go off) is that it is probably one of our trailer tires. Now I'm busy craning my head to try to see all my trailer tires in the rearview mirrors instead of looking ahead (with cruise control set to 65 MPH).

About the time I figured it wasn't my tire, the six vehicles ahead of me are all on their brakes and swerving around a huge chunk of rubber from one of the semi trucks. Each successive vehicle had to make progressively more aggressive evasive maneuvers to the point that the last vehicle in line swerved across both lanes in front of me and partially into the shoulder. Fortunately, I looked up as soon as I did and eased over into the shoulder and braked normally. Everyone sorted themselves out, straightened up without incident and proceeded on up the road.

It only takes a second, folks. You never know where that next distraction will come from.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
and I bet that line of cars didn't slow down much :(. Glad ya'll are safe and no damage was done. It's scary when traffic goes nuts.

avvidclif

Similiar incident Sun afternoon going home from camping. Left downtown Dallas on 175 headed south. It was raining cats and dogs. We came to "Dead Mans Curve" on 175 where the right 2 lanes of the freeway makes almost a 90 degree left turn and goes back under left lane. I know, strange freeway. Anyway I was in the middle lane running abt 25-30, posted speed is 40 IIRC. Almost thru the curve a guy in an Audi is coming by me in the right lane in a hurry. About the time he got beside my cab the back tires broke loose and his backend was starting to pass the front. Of course when this happened he came across into my lane. I saw this and was slowing and saw him looking over his left shoulder at the front end of an F350 with a huge RV behind it that was headed for his drivers door (<50'), he was sideways at this time, perfect T-Bone. Large whites of his eyes showing. Luckily for him I was able to slow to a crawl while he continued his dance. He got stopped half in the right lane and half in the center (mine) facing the wrong way. I checked the mirrors and moved over to the left lane and went on down the freeway. I wasn't about to stop anywhere around that blind curve, besides I probably would have discussed his idiot heritage with him. I don't know how many stacked up trying to avoid hitting him and the cars stopping. Like I said blind curve.

I just wonder how long it took him to get his rear end off the seatcovers since probably half of the seatcovers was in his rear.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Noticing quite a few "gators" on the roads recently. I tend to watch the small bits, because you know bigger pieces are to come. We had to do some slight evasive maneuvers to avoid a stopped horse trailer that may have had a blowout, partially blocking the left lane, the lane we were all supposed to be merging into due to road construction. I noticed the semi in front of me running over small tire bits, just a few moments before the sudden slowdown and move for the horse trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

It can happen in the blink of an eye. We had an OH S*** moment in Knoxville a year or so ago. Glad you guys are OK.

buddyboy

What continues to astound us is the belief by nimrods that our truck pulling our RV can maneuver around their vehicle when their brain takes a holiday. Our son, a CDL driver of 18 wheelers, sees these drivers all the time and has had to do evasive actions most days. His advice - assume every vehicle has someone behind the wheel who began driving yesterday.