2500 vs 3500 SRW

LanceR

The rig my wife wants maxes at 14000#, so I'm pretty confident in the 17100 trailer towing capacity in the GM product line. Since both the 2500 and 3500 spec out the same for towing limits, is there a clear advantage for buying one over the other? There is a chance that the truck will be a daily driver. Thanks in advance for the advice.

GOTTOYS

It's about how much weight it can haul more than what it will tow. Get the 3500. About the same price, same mileage, ride is about the same.You won't be sorry....Don

jam20ster

On the 3500 series trucks they should have an extra leaf spring in the rear which will help with the payload weight. Not sure about the GMC line up, but on the Ford trucks you can only get a 3.31 or a 3.55 gear in the F250. With a F350 they offer 3.73 and 4.10. Just some things to think about.

LanceR

It's all 3.73 for the DuraMax/Allison combo in all GM HD trucks. Payload is the kicker. There is a 1500# difference between the 2500 and 3500.

On the 3500 series trucks they should have an extra leaf spring in the rear which will help with the payload weight. Not sure about the GMC line up, but on the Ford trucks you can only get a 3.31 or a 3.55 gear in the F250. With a F350 they offer 3.73 and 4.10. Just some things to think about.

jam20ster

Yeah I wasn't for sure on the GMC line up. But like you said the payload is higher due to extra leaf spring. Makes a big difference. Add a set of air bags and you are defintely good to go.

Dont forget about the axle rating. I won't open the weight police can of worms here by ignoring TV GVWR -- I'm deliberately limiting my comments to the axle itself with the caution that one cannot just simply add spring capacity to the rear and expect all to be good. Yes, the pin loads the axle directly (or nearly so) as opposed to the frame -- just remember there are ball bearings and brakes and wheels and tires that are expected to handle that weight, including the dynamics of lateral movement under tow.

on the Ram SRW trucks, for example, 3500s get a 7000 lb. axle while the 2500s get a 6000 pounder. A 7000 lb axle on a SRW is way cool

The payload on any of these trucks is determined by the weakest component, which is usually the drive train and the rear axle. So, changing the rear gear ratio will effect performance but not payload. Adding air bags will level the truck and give it a smoother ride but because of the added weight of the air bags will reduce not increase payload. All of the trucks can pull 16000#'s or more, but their payload can be as low as about 2500#'s particularly with 4-wheel drive, which adds about 350#'s (read reduces payload). Pay attention to your payload and estimated loaded pin weight. We probably know of a lot of people who exceed their truck's capacity and get away with it, but it is probably not a good idea.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You never know when you may decide to get a bigger trailer. We started with a F250 and had to get a 350 to haul the Landmark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bohemian

Pay attention to payload, GVWR, and rear axle rating. The you will end up with the 3500 and be close to the maximum capacity of the truck. Remember, the 5ths dry weight and dry pin weight are meaningless at any other time past delivery from the factory.

avvidclif

I don't know about the rear axles on the GMC or Dodge. My F350 Ford uses a Sterling unit rated at 9750 lbs. Same axle for F250/350 from '99 up. The 350 dually uses a Dana 80. On my SRW 350 the RAWR is exactly twice what one OEM tire was rated for if that's a hint where the limit came from. The weak springs don't help except for pointing the headlights to looking for squirrels in trees. (Ride quality, sheesh this is a 1t truck). My understanding is the F350 had an additional leaf in the springs to account for the different payload ratings.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
It's about how much weight it can haul more than what it will tow. Get the 3500. About the same price, same mileage, ride is about the same.You won't be sorry....Don

My 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD has the 4:10 rear end . . .

I don't know about the rear axles on the GMC or Dodge. My F350 Ford uses a Sterling unit rated at 9750 lbs. Same axle for F250/350 from '99 up. The 350 dually uses a Dana 80. On my SRW 350 the RAWR is exactly twice what one OEM tire was rated for if that's a hint where the limit came from. The weak springs don't help except for pointing the headlights to looking for squirrels in trees. (Ride quality, sheesh this is a 1t truck). My understanding is the F350 had an additional leaf in the springs to account for the different payload ratings.

I' not familiar with Ford drive trains... but that is an interesting way to rate the rear GAWR! A 9750 lb axle is found only on duallies (in the dodge world), accompanied by four tires and suitable increases in GVWR as well, over the SRW trucks. You're saying you can put 22.5" rims and a G rated 5000lb tire on there, and obtain a real 9750 lb rear axle rating on a SRW truck???? I wouldn't expect the axle to be rated at 9750 without dual wheels. that would be one harsh riding truck, and expensive to do that -- I'm just raising the hypothetical situation to understand the F350. A 9750 lb axle isn't 9750 lb axle until it has the tires and wheels to support it.

Ladiver

I' not familiar with Ford drive trains... but that is an interesting way to rate the rear GAWR! A 9750 lb axle is found only on duallies (in the dodge world), accompanied by four tires and suitable increases in GVWR as well, over the SRW trucks. You're saying you can put 22.5" rims and a G rated 5000lb tire on there, and obtain a real 9750 lb rear axle rating on a SRW truck???? I wouldn't expect the axle to be rated at 9750 without dual wheels. that would be one harsh riding truck, and expensive to do that -- I'm just raising the hypothetical situation to understand the F350. A 9750 lb axle isn't 9750 lb axle until it has the tires and wheels to support it.

I think, in this scenario, you have only moved the weakest link. If the tires are the current weak link, then yes by swapping 22.5's and G rated tires, you have increased the capacity. You have to look at the next link. I highly doubt every other component on a SRW truck is rated at 9750, but if it is then you potentially have the dually capacity with a SRW! This is only for your "safety", it has nothing to do with registered or licensed weights. I remember reading somewhere that a guy did just that with his SRW GMC 3500 and was in the process of certifying and re-stickering for a higher weight rating. Not sure what that outcome was.

Bones

My rear axle is rated to 6500 lbs and my tires with rims are rated higher than 7k lbs. Ford could use the same axle across the board to make assembly easier and just add the dually hub later.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
The rig my wife wants maxes at 14000#, so I'm pretty confident in the 17100 trailer towing capacity in the GM product line. Since both the 2500 and 3500 spec out the same for towing limits, is there a clear advantage for buying one over the other? There is a chance that the truck will be a daily driver. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Is this a TT or a 5th wheel? If it is a 5th wheel then go with the 3500. I have a Ram 3500 dually and I drive it everyday. Yes it is big and yes I always park in the back of parking lots but I get more exercise that way. When hauling a trailer, especially a 5th wheel having the 3500 dually makes life so much easier. It is also a lot safer. In these forums you will read a lot about people moving from a 2500 to a 3500 but hardly ever see anyone downsizing to a smaller truck unless they are also downsizing their trailer.

My rear axle is rated to 6500 lbs and my tires with rims are rated higher than 7k lbs. Ford could use the same axle across the board to make assembly easier and just add the dually hub later.

right that was where I was headed as well. and as pointed out by myself and others, you have to consider GAWR of the TV as well, and pin weight contributes to that. a 6500 lb axle in a 9750 lb tube is still only a 6500 lb axle, and even then you are going to be GVWR limited, not GAWR limited :)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The question was raised about GMC/ Chevy trucks being the same. Yes they are...same truck...different grill. For a 2K $$ difference get the 3500HD and DRW. Buy more truck than you need now. I drive my 3500HD DRW every day in Socal without any issues. "If the mirrors clear...then the hips clear". What a difference towing between a SRW and DRW it is. 31000# GVWR (2WD)....30500# (4WD). My 5cts worth.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Ditto on the Dually. My wife drives ours a lot. Just need to get used to walking further in parking lots (I tend to take 4 spaces with it!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Gus, I had hide the extra keys for "MY" truck from Pat or she would take it to work every day. Ladies seem to like BIG trucks.