Patio/Awning Mats for 3055RL

GaryB

Hi: We have a camping trip scheduled the day after delivery (May 14), so I'd like to buy a patio/awning mat in advance. Anybody know what size I should get for the 3055RL? Or does anybody know the width x depth dimensions for the 3055RL electric awning? There are no BH's around here.

BTW: On the Tweety link below, they sell both an "Awning Camping Mat" and a "Patio Mat". Does anybody know what the difference is, or which type I should be looking at?

http://www.tweetys.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=795

Thanks!
Gary

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Patio Rug

Hey!
We are going to pickup our 3055 in three weeks. For us, we bought the 6 x9. That works for us. Good luck with your new "home on wheels". We are getting excited. Can't wait.

DennisZ

I use a 9x12 polypropelene mat from Camping World, seems to work out just fine. BTW the awning on a 3055RL is 20'.

Dennis

GaryB

Thanks for the replies thus far! So it sounds like it's not customary to get a mat that the same size as the awning footprint?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We are like most of the folks that have posted , 9x12 and also have a 6x9 . We use the smaller one when we put up the dog pen , easy to store the smaller sizes .....Ken

jpmorgan37

We went to a carpet discount store and bought a 12 x 16 reminent of indoor/outdoor carpet. It was far less expensive than the patio mats and has held up great.

John

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Gary B, we went to Lowes and bought the "instant lawn" they have on rolls in different colors. Get 2 old belts cut them short, make new holes in the belt, then you can use them to hold the carpet rolled up when you travel. Bob:D:D:eek:

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
We have stayed at campgrounds where you camp on grass and patio mats are not allowed unless they are the "breatheable" kind. That means that it cannot have the latex backing on it, like the instant lawn kind does. Please keep this in mind.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I gotta ask this...what do you do with a 100+ pound mat what is totally soaked?

I never use a mat because of that problem. They do not dry out quickly

jpmorgan37

Lefty;

That's a great question. Since we usually park for several months at a time, I pick mine up when it is dry, a week before we plan to travel. When we are staying for just a day or two, I don't bother putting it down. And for parks that don't allow them, that's no problem. I respect their wishes.

John

GaryB

Thanks for the advice, all!

John - I like the idea about indoor/outdoor carpet. Is that material anything like the polypropelene mats that are commonly sold at Tweetys, Camping World, etc.?

Gary

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
GaryB...if you want to buy a mat only once...one that will last forever, and has a lifetime guarantee...contact Joanne at J&J Sunshades. They make the best mat we ever owned...and STILL own, after three years, and it still looks like new. The material is breathable and they will custom make any size you need.

One of it's best features is that we almost never have to nail it down and it does NOT move in the wind. Here is the web site http://rvmat.com/.

jpmorgan37

Gary;

It is polypropylene carpet. I don't know about Tweety's but it is a little more heavy duty than what they sell at CW. When it gets dirty, I just hose it off, hang it over something and let it drip dry, then I fold it up and put it in the floor in the back seat of the TV and put my Satellite Dishes on top of it. It works great for us.

John

seamo

Bob and Christina Seaman
how about this--we bought one a long time ago--still in the package and we are full timers....at least I don't have to fold it. LOL

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
That's another great feature of the J&J RV mats...water goes right thru and they never hold water of any kind. They can be put away almost immediately and they never mildew!

GaryB

I gotta ask this...what do you do with a 100+ pound mat what is totally soaked?

I never use a mat because of that problem. They do not dry out quickly

Now I have another question :confused: Is the problem with John's mat not drying out quickly because it is indoor/outdoor carpet, or because it is polypropylene? The reason I ask is because the 9x12 mat I'm eyeing at Tweetys is polypropylene also (here's the mat: http://www.tweetys.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8571). But since I'll just be a weekend camper, I won't have the time to let it dry out like John does.

The mat Ken/Kathy recommended (J&J) is acrylic/polyester. Does acrylic/polyester have any special advantages over polypropylene?

Maybe I'm making this too complex. I have a tendency to over-analyze things, espec. since I have no prior RVing experience to draw upon.

Thanks!
Gary

snuffy

I think you are over-complicating this a little. The 9x12' mat you are looking at is fine. We got ours from Camping World and even got the zippered bags for them. Relax and enjoy.