2015 Ram Mega Cab hitch clearence

Gas20

Anyone know if I can make sharpe backing turns without using the slider on my reese hitch, just bought 2015 2500 Ram Mega Cab, to pull the ElkRidge Looks mighty close in the 6' 4" bed looks mighty close back there

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Anyone know if I can make sharpe backing turns without using the slider on my reese hitch, just bought 2015 2500 Ram Mega Cab, to pull the ElkRidge Looks mighty close in the 6' 4" bed looks mighty close back there

Isn't that why you got the slider in the first place?

I also have the Reese 16K Pro Slider . . .

I can turn pretty tight without using the slider . . . but I have it in case it is needed.

Last edited:
ok I gotta ask you experienced short bed guys: do you like your manual sliders or do you wish you had put in the (heavy) pull-rite dynamic type system you can forget about? And does the HL front cap really give you an advantage? The reason I ask is because we short bed guys have to watch our weight more closely so I'm inclined to save 100 lbs (if I could) by opting for a manual slider because seems counter-intuitive to put a heavy hitch in a short bed.

Too many variables to generalize, but you can measure this -- Tie a string to the pin, stretch it out to the edge of the Elkridge, then swing the string around to see how close it comes to the cab. Or measure the distance from hitch to cab and compare that against the half the width of the Eldridge.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Just visited a dealership in Colo Springs today on a new 2016 3500 Ram s/b....they said I needed 54 inches from each side of the nose cap to the back of the truck, if less then a slider was required.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Just visited a dealership in Colo Springs today on a new 2016 3500 Ram s/b....they said I needed 54 inches from each side of the nose cap to the back of the truck, if less then a slider was required.

I though Heartland had a patent on their nose cap that allowed trucks with a short bed to use a regular hitch and not a slider? We went with the 8 foot bed for we wanted more storage area when we are on the road but the dealer (La Mesa) kept on selling that we could have a Mega Cab and still use a regular hitch.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Fred:
The Ram I am looking at will be a Mega Cab and the nose cone on the Heartland allows for I think an 80 degree turn. I was looking at ordering the Ram 5th wheel set up with the Truck and that is when they stated the measurements required without a slider. So I am not sure if you would really need the slider or not, but after spending that kind of money on a new Truck, taking a chance could be even more costly down the road. Perhaps someone with a 2015 short bed in use could chime in...

Kosanko

Heartland fron caps of 5th wheels allow for 88degree turning nothing mentions short or long bed

Gas20

The reason I Posted this my 2007 had a 6'6" bed did not ever use my slider and was in some pretty tight places, the 2015 mega cab has a 6'4" bed so I just do not know. Guess I will use the slider for safety.