Leaking Ice Maker - Residential Refrigerator

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
We have developed, over the past two days a leak in our residential refrigerator (I'm pretty sure its the ice maker). Water under the cabinet next to the refer and a drip on the outside, under the slideout..

I tried to find the ice maker water shut off value, but it is not under the kitchen sink like I was led to believe. Crawled under the refrigerator slideout and found the ice maker line (I think) and there is a valve in line. However, when I turn the valve, water comes out of the bottom on the valve. It does not shut the water flow off, so I'm thinking there has to be someplace else for the shut off valve.

I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I also hoping that I don't have to empty the basement to get behind the UDC, but I have a suspicion that the Heartland Design Engineers, being the sadist that they are,:mad::mad: hid it back there just so I'd have to go thru all kinds of headache to get at it.

Anybody know for sure??

farside291

We have the Big Country 3950FB which is the same floor plan and ours is under the sink closer to the left back of the cabinet. If yours is not there I would be willing to bet its behind the UDC. The valve you found on the outside is the drain valve. Mine leaked only after 2 months of ownership

danemayer

Hi Keith,

Some are in the kitchen, under a cabinet. Others are behind the UDC. In all cases, the 1/4" poly line is teed into a 1/2" pex line and has a cutoff valve coming off the tee. Here's an under sink picture.

Attachments

• supply line cutoff annotated2.jpg
    supply line cutoff annotated2.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 36

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
In my Ashland, the cut off is behind the bottom left drawer in the island. If you pull the drawer all of the way out you should be able to see the valve if it is in the same place in the Newport.

Debtramm

Our ice maker is leaking too. So far CAmping World can't identify the problem so keep us up to date as to what you find.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
billyjoeraybob,

that's where it is. Found it and turned the water supply off. Now, I wait to see if the cabinet dries out (i.e. that was the source of the leak). Thanks much. If that's the problem, then I just gotta find a Heartland dealer to fix it.

Thanks everyone. Ain't this Forum GREAT!! You got a problem, someone knows how to fix it, or at least help you out.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
In my Ashland, the cut off is behind the bottom left drawer in the island. If you pull the drawer all of the way out you should be able to see the valve if it is in the same place in the Newport.

In our Ashland it was outside underneath the slide with the refer. We drain the line to winterize but because it was outside and made of cheap plastic it self destructed when it froze. When I went to open it up in the spring water went everywhere. I have now replaced it with a brass valve and added a tee so I can blow air through the line to remove all water. Another issue you might have is getting all the air out of the line before you turn on the ice maker. With our Samsung it tries about three time to fill but if there is too much air it will shut down.

danemayer

In our Ashland it was outside underneath the slide with the refer. We drain the line to winterize but because it was outside and made of cheap plastic it self destructed when it froze. When I went to open it up in the spring water went everywhere. I have now replaced it with a brass valve and added a tee so I can blow air through the line to remove all water. Another issue you might have is getting all the air out of the line before you turn on the ice maker. With our Samsung it tries about three time to fill but if there is too much air it will shut down.
Fred,

I'm pretty sure the outside valve under the slide is a drain valve, not a cutoff for the water supply. And yes, if all the water is not evacuated with compressed air, it will freeze along with the exposed poly line. The drain valve will not effectively drain the water from the system.

apc427

We had a leak under our sink in our 4200 and it was the ice maker water line. that's where the turn off valve is. My husband replaced part of the tubing line with a better quality line from Lowes. He also replaced the cheap fittings with better fittings from Lowes. So far, that has fixed our leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk