Ceiling Fan

Cleavers

We have a new 2015 Bighorn, with coffered ceiling, AC vents in ceiling. We are wondering the best direction to have the fan blades running when in extreme heat? When running in either direction with AC on, it seems to be pushing the heat that has risen to the ceiling level down.....we have been using floor fans instead?

danemayer

Hi cleavers,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

You're likely to get varying opinions. The best answer might depend on placement of your air vents relative to the fan. On our 2011 Landmark, the air comes out 4 vents equally spaced around the fan. When the fan pushes air down, it helps to circulate the cool air coming out of the vents.

Many newer rigs have air coming out vents on the off-door-side, with return vents on the door-side. Not clear to me how that would influence the decision.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
We have a new 2015 Bighorn, with coffered ceiling, AC vents in ceiling. We are wondering the best direction to have the fan blades running when in extreme heat? When running in either direction with AC on, it seems to be pushing the heat that has risen to the ceiling level down.....we have been using floor fans instead?

We have a ceiling fan in our Landmark and we have tried running it both ways. Really does not move much air. One of the issues are the blades are just inches from the ceiling so the is no space to push or pull air. Your air conditioner should have both output vents pushing cold air and input vents sucking the hot air that has risen in the RV. In our unit the output vents are on the driver side and the input vents are on the passenger side in relation to our truck. I though there was something wrong for it felt like the input vents were not doing anything.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I replaced the little OEM fan in our BH with a Hunter model from Lowes. Took a bit of modification plus the blades have to be just so to clear the slide fascia when closing them but it moves air and is quiet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if it would be best to leave the fan off? The AC air will naturally fall and hot air will naturally rise, so maybe the ceiling fan is interfering with the natural air flow that the HVAC system natively provides.

dalspot

We also replaced our fan with a small Hunter fan on a downrod. It's been there for 4 seasons now, no problems. Never got any air movement on the OEM fan. The Hunter will blow out the stove burner when lit and on high now :). We even have 3 lights on the fan. We are lucky in that it clears the slides just fine. I worried about the constant movement but the mount is just a good as the day we installed it.

RAHanock

Lowering the fan helps...
see post #4 here: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/25718-ceiling-fan?p=190613&highlight=#post190613

B

BouseBill

As others have said the OEM fan is a joke. Replace it with a downrod model and you'll get a lot more air movement.

RAHanock

I posted this in July 2011...

The fan in our Sundance did not move much air either - we couldn't feel much cooling effect even on high. I lowered the fan about 3 inches and now it is much more usable for cooling. To do this I used longer screws and a second electrical box to preserve the fan mounting. Then placed a painted tube of aluminum around the new box for aesthetics. And there is still plenty of clearance between the blades when the slide is in.