Portable ice maker

shelsay

Our home frig makes enough ice to keep the two of us supplied on a daily basis but comes up short when we have people over. I am considering getting a portable ice maker to supplement our frig and would like suggestions from the forum as to units to consider or avoid. Thanks in advance for any of your comments.

Rangelady

We bought a Newair portable ice maker from Amazon.com and it is awesome! It make cubes every 6 minutes right from start up. Sweet machine, cost was about $100

wdk450

I bought the Igloo brand through Walmart 3 years ago - So far no problems.
I would search "Portable Icemakers" on Amazon, then sort by ratings to get a bigger report base for brand/model decisions. Walmart has a pretty good 3 year extended replacement warranty for about $15

RoadJunkie

I went to The Home Depot yesterday and they were running an "event", which included a Kidchen Maid ice maker for $99. I can't speak to the quality of the unit.

pegmikef

We have the small Dometic and it makes more than enough ice for the two of us. I keep it in the basement and use a gallon water jug to fill it (holds about 1/2 a gallon). Down side is that it is only an ice maker, not a freezer so the ice needs to be removed soon after it is made. The basket is about the equivalent of a standard ice tray and takes about 45 minutes to an hour to fill.

Last edited:

Garypowell

I did a lot of looking and it seemed most where the same inside with just different skins. Bought it and though it worked ok did not like that it was "wet ice" as was previously described. If you did not remove it quickly it started to melt.

I would buy it local so it would be easy to return.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have the Dometic and keep it in the basement. We love it and it makes plenty of ice for us.

GOTTOYS

They're almost all the exact same unit with different names on nthem. Compare the $99.00 unit with the $300.00 side by side and everything is the same but for the name. Ours works well enough when we use it. Just takes up too much space so we don't always fire it up....Don

porthole

Retired
We have the large Dometic, third unit in 2 years. When it works, it works great.The Dometic reps told me it is one of the few items they strictly outsource, so no repairs when they stop making ice.
Ours is hooked up to the inverter circuit in the trailer, so we start making ice when we pull out of the driveway. Typically does not get turned off until we are home again.

Right now it is in the house garage. We are making ice and dumping it into our Dometic portable freezer/cooler.
I am using an "iceman" cold therapy for shoulder surgery it it consumes a lot of ice. Between the two items I can keep a sufficient supply of ice at the ready.

https://www.djoglobal.com/products/donjoy/donjoy-iceman-clear3

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/dometic-portable-stainless-steel-ice-maker/55033

http://www.amazon.com/Dometic-CF-035AC110-Coolmatic-Control-Refrigerator/dp/B0017YFDGO