What domiciled state do most Full Timers use

Piperflyer

I am getting ready to go Full Time RVing and am looking into S. Dakota to set up my domiciled address. NY state is my home now. I have gotten all the information sent to me from a company called "My Dakota Address" and it seems easy to do. I just have to go out there for a new driver license which is no problem for me.
What are everybody thoughts about doing this? Would like to here the pro's and con's from full timers who have done this or who are doing it now.
Thank you I advance!

MTPockets

I have nothing first hand other tha FL, which is popular. MyRVMail.com also has good information about the FL service.. We've used this for over 3yrs and they have been flawless, and really like the online ability to see what's in my mailbox and can ship to any address however & whenever I choose.

B

BouseBill

We use Americas Mailbox in Box Elder. Watch what county your address will be in as some counties charge what is called a tire tax (vehicles are charged by how many tires they have) Currently Pennington County does not have a tire tax. Call Americans Mailbox we are happy with them.

VKTalley

We use Escapees out of Livingston, Texas. They recently made some good changes to their mail service. Continue looking around and see what will work best for you.

olcoon

We aren't full time, but "any timers", sometimes being gone for several months at a time. We use My Dakota Address (LINK) out of SD. Also, Workamper News sells a book called "Choosing Your RV Homebase" (LINK) that you might find interesting. It lists all of the states, and has their requirements for establishing residency and a bunch of other info. I don't know how up to date it would be, so it'd be a good idea to check the individual state you are interested in. The states I've seen/heard of most people using are; TX,FL, & SD. One thing to keep in mind are licensing, tax, and insurance requirements/costs. Hope this helps!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We been full timers for ten years...we use My Home Address in Emery, SD. Has worked great for us...just renewed our driver's license on line...very easy to do!

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
South Dakota. Use America's Mailbox and been very happy with them. SD requires 1 night stay every 5 years.

AAdams

We use My Dakota Address too. We have the premium service, have not had a complaint yet, Terri has been great.

When you look at the services, be sure to check the fine print... Some say, if the package doesn't fit your box there is a $xx charge, or to have shipped UPS or FedEx there is a $xx charge, or $xx per shipment plus postage, etc. Also, some places say you can NOT use the residence as a place to vote, MDA will. I have called and asked her for something special, she took care of it, never saw a charge. The ONLY additional charge we've had is when we bought the truck and the BH this year. I called, she figured the tax, I sent her the paperwork, a check to the treasurer for the tax, and a check to My Dakota Address for $20 and she took care of everything else. ( Purchased at separate times so paid $20 each time )
The wheel tax that was mentioned before is $4/wheel 4 wheel max. ( $16 per vehicle )

We chose SD because of: No property tax on vehicles/RV's, No income tax, No special license requirements, No vehicle / trailer inspections. So we arrived on a Sunday, left on a Wednesday as residents, renew plates on line.. will return for the drivers license renewal once every 5 years ( you can renew up to 6 mo early ).

olcoon

Another thing I just thought of. We've been told by full timers NOT to have your mail sent to you by the US Post Office. Main thing is that it can't be tracked, or at least that easily. We were told to have it sent to you by FedEx or UPS. More reliable, and easier to track if you don't get your mail.

wdk450

I was worried that my Driver's License (ID) address HAS to match my healthcare insurance (Kaiser) address, so I am stuck with having everything registered in California, along with its excessive vehicle licensing fees. Also there are "old RVer's tales" of the CHP looking for South Dakota plates on RV's, and pulling these people over to check their true residency.

BTW, I use a mailbox at an UPS store. I send them a free e-mail FAX when I want my mail, and they send it USPS to the local post office General Delivery. I have a credit card on file with the UPS Store. This week I had a Father's Day box, and the nearest post office where I can pick up general delivery mail is about 30 miles (round trip) away. So I asked the UPS store to forward my mail in the box via UPS to the campground address (the campground was good with this, and even delivered my box to my RV door). Thanks to Thousand Trails Snowflower Resort, Emigrant Gap, California!!

Last edited:

MTPockets

Another thing I just thought of. We've been told by full timers NOT to have your mail sent to you by the US Post Office. Main thing is that it can't be tracked, or at least that easily. We were told to have it sent to you by FedEx or UPS. More reliable, and easier to track if you don't get your mail.
Been full time 3 1/2 yrs and use US Mail 80% of time, both first class and priority mail. Never had a problem.