Travel trailer RV Insurance for part timers

fdechaine

Howdy,

I am trying to compare different RV insurance policies (GMAC, Progressive, Allied and State Farm) but it is really hard to do a one-for-one comparison since I am not sure what I should get for coverage. I currently have state farm for homeowners, auto and umbrella policies.

What coverage areas should I be looking for in a new policy and which ones are the most important? So far I have this list but am not sure how relevant these are since I already have so much homeowners and auto insurance. Also we will probably only be camping out 8 - 10 times in 2008 and the remaining time the TT is either at our home or it is in covered storage in the winter. The longest trip will be when we pick the unit up in Indiana

- Liability (should be covered by the tow vehicle?)
- Medical ???
- Physical Damage (market value or total loss replacement)
- Collision (should be covered by the tow vehicle?)
- Vacation Liability (someone gets hurt on your TT, probably covered by the TT insurance or the umbrella policy)
- Custom equipment (awnings, tv antenna, etc.)
- Road side assistance (may want a separate policy from Good Sam's)
- Emergency expense insurance (trip interruption)
- Personal Effects (should be covered by the homeowners?)

I really didn't worry much about insurance with the old beater TT but with this new one, I really want to be properly covered. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Frank

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Collision and comprehensive must be on the trailer policy - they are not covered by the tow vehicle's policy.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Depends on the state. In Texas, the trailer is covered by the home owners policy with the contents covered by the trailer policy.

Different states different rules.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
You may want to get a quote by some of the companies that specialize in RV insurance. Don't know the part-time rate, we have full-time through RVAmerica. Just a thought.