Wood Trim Splitting

Sweenja1

We have had our new 2016 Bighorn 3760EL for just over a month. The wood trim around the doors is splitting in various places within the coach, mostly around the bathroom/bedroom. Each time we travel with it we find another piece of cracked trim. The dealer is going to replace the cracked trim pieces as it's covered under warranty. That part I'm not concerned about.

Anyone have any issues with this or know why it may be doing this?

Attachments

• Bathroom Inside right.jpg
    Bathroom Inside right.jpg
    783.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Bathroom left1.jpg
    Bathroom left1.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 154
  • Bedroom Bath Door Right.jpg
    Bedroom Bath Door Right.jpg
    607.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Bedroom right1.jpg
    Bedroom right1.jpg
    785.9 KB · Views: 180

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I do not believe that is real wood. It looks like structural foam with a vinyl "wood-look" wrap. The wrap looks like it's shrinking for some reason, resulting in the tears and splits.

buddyboy

If it was our trailer, we'd call Heartland and ask them what was happening. Have your VIN handy when you call.

Sweenja1

I do not believe that is real wood. It looks like structural foam with a vinyl "wood-look" wrap. The wrap looks like it's shrinking for some reason, resulting in the tears and splits.

It appears to be wood. The way I found the split in the bedroom is I rubbed up against it and ended up with a big wood sliver stuck in my arm. The other pieces are splitting around the staple. Almost like its drying out and cracking? I'll see what the dealer has to say and give Heartland a call on Monday.

etcmss

picture 1 does look like splitting but 2, 3 and 4 look like poor materials to start. can you trace this damage to use of trailer-motion, water? or could it have been there original and not noticed till now? (like picture 3) no leaks right? no wet floors?
Gary

Sweenja1

picture 1 does look like splitting but 2, 3 and 4 look like poor materials to start. can you trace this damage to use of trailer-motion, water? or could it have been there original and not noticed till now? (like picture 3) no leaks right? no wet floors?
Gary

I know it wasn't like this when we picked it up from the dealer. The first time I noticed it was after returning home after our second trip with it. There has never been any water issues since its been in our possession. The splitting on the lower door trim (pics 2 and 4) I noticed at the same time. The splitting on pic 3 happened within days of getting the coach. Pic 1 is an end cap that is bowing.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life

I agree with John. These moulding used in RV's are not real wood but a wrapped wood grain hard foam material. They are very easy to scratch but should not split with out something hitting against the surface.

OEFVET

The splitting on the bottom is caused by contact with water. Heartland will replace but I suggest you figure out your water problem as well. Good luck.

dbbls59

Had the same thing happen in my Big County. It was caused by water on the floor causing the wood to swell and split the vinyl wrap.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Had the same thing happen in my Big County. It was caused by water on the floor causing the wood to swell and split the vinyl wrap.

X2, I have seen this caused by water absorbing into the "wood" and causing the "wood textured skin" to crack. It may not happen instantly. It can take time to happen, due to changing temperature and humidity levels.

BighornELK

I'll trade you. We've used our new 3760EL once. We discovered the wood on stove side slide is splitting at the seam. Now our unit sits waiting to be repaired. So much for our vacation!!

Sweenja1

I'll trade you. We've used our new 3760EL once. We discovered the wood on stove side slide is splitting at the seam. Now our unit sits waiting to be repaired. So much for our vacation!!

Dealer believes the trim may have been exposed to water before it was installed? We also have the splitting in the slide wood floor on the stove side. Appears to need a shim under the wood in one spot? Still waiting on the dealer to receive the parts from Heartland. We are still using our coach as non of the issues prevent us from using it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you are just waiting for a piece of wood, why not use your rig.
Can't see canceling a vacation for that.

Peace
Dave

brianlajoie

I had this problem of the water being absorbed into the fiber board. The water spilled by me caused 3 door jambs to swell within 24 hours. The carpet acted as a wick from the back of the bathroom. The fix was about 10 minutes when we were at the rally in Goshen. Look at your bathroom sink and the carpets around the bathroom walls for moisture.