Black tank flush help.

oreo4772

I have a 2011 Heartland sundance 265RK. Where I hook up my city water connection right below it is another connection that says sewer tank flusher. Is that where I flush out the black water tank? It also says must open valve when using this connection.

Now the question is do I hook up water hose to this and open valve turn on water and flush till clear water is coming out? Then it is clean?

Thanks, Joe (newbie what can I say)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That's pretty much it. Be sure you have the tank valve open while running the flush or you may backflow out of the toilet and into the rig. Do you have the clear sewer adapter with the hose connection and a twist-on valve for it? Useful if a clog develops at the tank valve and the flusher can't move it.

The commonly accepted "wisdom" is to not leave the operation with the water running or get distracted while playing "sanitary engineer." Accidents can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Remember too...a different hose than you use for fresh water is in order.

Lynn1130

If I am not mistaken you have a 2011 model which probably means that the black tank system has been used before. I would recommend that you use two cups of Spic and Span and about 15 gals of water in the tank and take a long drive, perhaps to your first vacation spot. Then hook up the flush hose, open the black tank valve and flush until clear. My guess is there is a layer of "crud" dried on the surface of the inside of the tank.

My water usually flushed clean after a couple of cycles but then I did the Spic and Span trick and was amazed at what came out after a day of driving and sloshing around.

avvidclif

And when you take off to drive clean the black tank add 2 bags of ice to the tank. It will bang around and help knock the crud loose without hurting anything.

oreo4772

If I am not mistaken you have a 2011 model which probably means that the black tank system has been used before. I would recommend that you use two cups of Spic and Span and about 15 gals of water in the tank and take a long drive, perhaps to your first vacation spot. Then hook up the flush hose, open the black tank valve and flush until clear. My guess is there is a layer of "crud" dried on the surface of the inside of the tank.

My water usually flushed clean after a couple of cycles but then I did the Spic and Span trick and was amazed at what came out after a day of driving and sloshing around.

Do I do this through the bowl add spic and span and then the water?

Joe

ndmac

I have a 2011 Heartland sundance 265RK. Where I hook up my city water connection right below it is another connection that says sewer tank flusher. Is that where I flush out the black water tank? It also says must open valve when using this connection.

Now the question is do I hook up water hose to this and open valve turn on water and flush till clear water is coming out? Then it is clean?

Thanks, Joe (newbie what can I say)

Only thing I would add is I use back flow preventer when connecting a dedicated flush hose to the flush connection. I let the flush water build a little (Couple Minutes) then I open the black tank valve. I find this helps pick up some of the remaining solids still in the tank.

http://www.amazon.com/EnviroDrip-Hose-Thread-Backflow-Preventer/dp/B0034YWADE

Last edited:

happykraut

Only thing I would add is I use back flow preventer when connecting a dedicated flush hose to the flush connection. I let the flush water build a little (Couple Minutes) then I open the black tank valve. I find this helps pick up some of the remaining solids still I the tank.

http://www.amazon.com/EnviroDrip-Hose-Thread-Backflow-Preventer/dp/B0034YWADE
I also open and close the valve as I flush. DON'T EVER walk away or loose concentration while doing this procedure. I won't mention any names, but one of our members was flushing his black tank and walked away for a minute. His wife was standing in the doorway when all the tank water came down on top of her. The funniest thing was that he told her that it was clean water. Actually he has done it twice.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Always have a pressure regulator on the hose. I have a clear adapter so I can see when the water is running clean. I have always let the tank fill (5 minutes) pull the handle and "let er rip". Repeat several times until I only get clear water. Just one time won't do it. NEVER EVER WALK AWAY while doing this.....don't ask. Go buy a Volterra gate valve and install on the end of the dump pipe and leave it their. Best $20 you will ever spend. Ever had poop water on your feet wearing flip-flops....no....then don't ask. Just take my word for it.

danemayer

When refilling the tank to dump it a 2nd or 3rd time, your cell phone timer will be your best friend.

JohnDar

And when you take off to drive clean the black tank add 2 bags of ice to the tank. It will bang around and help knock the crud loose without hurting anything.

I watched a YouTube video where a fellow made a simulated tank and put a load of synthetic poop (a NASA formulation) in it. He put ice in the tank and drove around with it in the bed of a pickup like a maniac. It did very little to break up the main lump of nasty at the bottom of the tank. He did not cover it with water before adding the ice, either.

ndmac

I also open and close the valve as I flush. DON'T EVER walk away or loose concentration while doing this procedure. I won't mention any names, but one of our members was flushing his black tank and walked away for a minute. His wife was standing in the doorway when all the tank water came down on top of her. The funniest thing was that he told her that it was clean water. Actually he has done it twice.

Going to sound silly, but I connect lanyard to my belt loop and UDC when doing this (figure it works on jet ski when fall off it should work on tank flush...LOL) I also time how long I run the water with count down timer on phone.
As stated above I do not want wife mad at me because water is flowing out of the camper and on her...LOL

She actually laughed at me when she saw the tethered, but where we camp it is nothing to have people stop and want to talk. She and I both agree I would walk away...LOL

Perhaps - overkill, but haven't walked away once...even when drinking a little "Wobble-Pop".

happykraut

I watched a YouTube video where a fellow made a simulated tank and put a load of synthetic poop (a NASA formulation) in it. He put ice in the tank and drove around with it in the bed of a pickup like a maniac. It did very little to break up the main lump of nasty at the bottom of the tank. He did not cover it with water before adding the ice, either.
John, perhaps since no water was added, the cubes did not slosh around to do the work. I cleaned my tank once before I left the campground to the point where the waste water came out clear. Added the ice and about 5gal of water and drove home about 85 miles. I then dumped again and the water was filthy.

JohnDar

Actually, a lot of the ice did melt and he had cameras recording the action (he made a clear plastic tank). If the ice had been floating on water to start, it would have less effect on the crud at the bottom of the tank. The process probably works if you've been maintaining your tank, but if there's a pile of Struvite stuck on it, it might not knock it loose. At any rate, the video was interesting.,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

John, perhaps since no water was added, the cubes did not slosh around to do the work. I cleaned my tank once before I left the campground to the point where the waste water came out clear. Added the ice and about 5gal of water and drove home about 85 miles. I then dumped again and the water was filthy.

I watched that video and was thinking the same thing. It didn't make any sense to just throw a bag of ice in there w/o the water. You need the slosh factor for it to be effective. I always add about 5 gal of water back to the black tank after flushing. Then Calgon and laundry detergent. I think people are often guilty of not using enough water, myself included. I learned my lesson on my Cyclone.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I watched that video and was thinking the same thing. It didn't make any sense to just throw a bag of ice in there w/o the water. You need the slosh factor for it to be effective. I always add about 5 gal of water back to the black tank after flushing. Then Calgon and laundry detergent. I think people are often guilty of not using enough water, myself included. I learned my lesson on my Cyclone.

I think that a lot of the problem is people don't flush well enough. One time won't do it and leaving the black tank valve open will build up "stuff" that won't wash out.