??? on Hydraulic systems

mdw60md

I like the Bighorn 3055 as my full time in the near future.;)
My question is this, they have hydraulic operation system and the hydraulic manual override system. Can they work while the temps at -10?
And whats the differ with operation and manual override?

Thanks for your time, I really like the floor plan on 3055. Hope someday I will be able to go full time with bighorn.
Thanks, Mark

mdw60md

no one answer, my best guess its not build for winter. I wanted to hear from you cuz I learn from the other guy, said its not not build for winter use. breaks easy! so I guess it does... better not own it cuz I will be in north few times to visit places.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Mark,
Try posting this question in the "Ask the Factory" section under any of the upper level trailer titles. In this section a factory representative will get you an answer.

Also, there are many people that do use their Bighorn fulltime and live in the northern part of the U.S.. Try doing a search using "fulltime" to see what info there is. I know that this has been discussed many times in the past.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=1702&highlight=fulltime

Mark

Last edited:

jimtoo

There is no reason why the hydraulic system should not work in the cold weather. Hydraulic fluid does not freeze, dump trucks, maintainers, tractors, all kinds of equipment use hydraulic cylinders in the cold weather.

As far as the difference between manual override, you can run all 3 slides in and out with just the one button, or you can go to the hydraulic manifold, open the valve for selected slide and close the other valves, push the button and only that slide will move. Don't know why you would want to do this, unless your someplace where you do not have the room to open all your slides.

I don't think any of the RV manufactures recommend using their product for fulltiming. But a lot of people do.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
I am sure both have their advantages and disadvantages but I find that the hydraulic is much faster, smoother and I would think just as reliable as electric. If the pump goes out you can retract the slides and jacks using a power drill but if a hydraulic line breaks I am not sure what can be done I just hope for the best as my Landmark has hydraulic. As for staying in -10 weather good luck I am not sure if I want to stay in a travel trailer of any brand in that kind of weather. We have been down in the teens in ours and stayed comfortable but you could feel the cold radiating through the walls and use a lot of propane in these temps.

mdw60md

thanks guys, now I have a better picture of this. ok so its up to me, how I use the bighorn in those crazy weather days. one thing is funny..in the bighorn video was talking about its great use for fulltime.
really its up to us how we use it, just be careful and have fun right?
I have been looking around for a rv to use as fulltime, FWs are easy, unhook & set up. whats next? take my truck and go places we want to visit...thats why Im trying to be careful which to buy, heartland was in top for better quality and customer service.
Again many thanks, Mark

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Goldenwingers was 100% correct about -10 degree temperatures! That stuff just ain't made for human consumption. That's why God made the southern part of the US!