Not prospective any longer....I did it.

benmack1

I am picking up a 2016 BC 4010 RD in the morning (July 2, 2015). I have looked at fifth wheels for about 18 months now and never had the guts to pull the trigger. We just couldn't find exactly what we wanted, this or that wasn't right. I also have had a challenge with my truck (2014 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB 4WD) to find a trailer that will connect correctly. The truck has been way too high for most older trailers (say 2011 or older). We finally just ran out of energy and decided to take the plunge and buy new. That was NOT my original plan. I wanted to buy a truck that was not going to limit what I could pull, seems I have overshot on that one but being too stiff and high never crossed my mind when truck shopping and never having owned a fifth wheel before. A Ford or possibly even the chevrolet might have been better from the height perspective but I really do like the Ram/Cummins/Aisin combo. I hope it does OK on this trailer, which looks mammoth. We're not new to RVing (used to have an older 37' gasser fleetwood motorhome) but are new to fifth wheels. I must admit I am excited but also having major second thoughts about what have I done! Wish me luck!

Garypowell

You won't need much luck but rather a lot of patience as you work through all the details.

Try ray and get the most out of your PDI and spend the nigh at the dealership if possible.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I am picking up a 2016 BC 4010 RD in the morning (July 2, 2015). I have looked at fifth wheels for about 18 months now and never had the guts to pull the trigger. We just couldn't find exactly what we wanted, this or that wasn't right. I also have had a challenge with my truck (2014 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB 4WD) to find a trailer that will connect correctly. The truck has been way too high for most older trailers (say 2011 or older). We finally just ran out of energy and decided to take the plunge and buy new. That was NOT my original plan. I wanted to buy a truck that was not going to limit what I could pull, seems I have overshot on that one but being too stiff and high never crossed my mind when truck shopping and never having owned a fifth wheel before. A Ford or possibly even the chevrolet might have been better from the height perspective but I really do like the Ram/Cummins/Aisin combo. I hope it does OK on this trailer, which looks mammoth. We're not new to RVing (used to have an older 37' gasser fleetwood motorhome) but are new to fifth wheels. I must admit I am excited but also having major second thoughts about what have I done! Wish me luck!

I also bought my truck 8 months before I bought the RV with the same logic that it should tow just about anything. Having the same truck I can tell you you bought the right truck.

'Lil Guy'

Congrats on your new toy. You're gonna love it. You're going to love that Ram too. I'm jealous.

rnewk52

Congratulations on your new rig. We were looking at the Montana 3790RD and just about to pull the trigger when we just happened to see the floor plan for the new BC4010RD. What are your impressions of the new BC after a few days of ownership ?

We are currently in our third Heartland and would like to stay with them if we can. Your thoughts and impressions would be greatly appreciated.

benmack1

Congratulations on your new rig. We were looking at the Montana 3790RD and just about to pull the trigger when we just happened to see the floor plan for the new BC4010RD. What are your impressions of the new BC after a few days of ownership ?

We are currently in our third Heartland and would like to stay with them if we can. Your thoughts and impressions would be greatly appreciated.

I was in the exact same situation looking at the Montana 3791RD (just has the residential fridge rather than propane/dual in the 3790RD). We actually were at the dealer to pull the trigger on the Montana and the BC 4010RD had just arrived and wasn't even open yet for viewing. Obviously I liked it better. The things that attracted me were it had more hydraulic slides (the Montana had more of the cable driven slides, although the BC has the one in the bedroom). I also wanted a unit with a rear fiberglass cap and the montana we looked at just had the laminated rear wall. The pricing was essentially identical so that wasn't a driver in the decision. the Montana rear den is elevated, I sort of liked that better than the even floor in the BC but that's just personal preference. The other biggie was the Montana would have required me to put new tires on as it came with the towmax or whatever chinese crap. I literally had tires priced and was planning to drag it home and replace the wheels and tires with 17.5 in rims and sailuns if I bought the Montana. The BC had Sailun 16" S637 G rated tires from the factory. These tires from all my reading are doing better out there than even the Good year G614's. Another consideration is the front jack control. both units have the lippert level up system. However, I believe the Montana does NOT have a stand alone button to raise and lower the front jacks. I wanted that so I didn't have to mess with the level up panel to just lower and raise my landing jacks. As an aside, I had a big problem with that looking at a Cedar Creek unit where a salesman that had no idea what he was doing dropped the trailer on my bed rails (it was just some quick thinking on my part and luckily an open truck door that allowed me to run and race away that saved my bed). that solidified my decision that i will not own a trailer that doesn't have a jack button in the front separate from the lippert control panel.

We have only used it two nights so far. Going to the outer banks next week for a few days. It pulls great (sucker is huge though and a mile long). The only issue we have had so far is the upholstery on one of the theater seat foot rests has come loose. Just shoddy craftsmanship (which is the industry standard as best I can tell). We will continue to put it through its paces and see what else pops up but so far so good and we are content with our choice. The Montana is also a very nice rig and can be had with the rear cap too but is priced higher at that point. The other one to look for if you are still looking is the Cedar Creek line from FR. Check out their 38RD, if you like the 3790Rd and 4010RD, you will like that one as well. It's all a **** toss up I think when all is said and done.