Ordered a part from Heartland...anyone else receive terrible customer service?

rangerbait

Greetings,

I recently purchased my second Heartland Travel Trailer, but had my first interaction with the company. I had read numerous horror stories about the brand, but the same can be said for most rv manufacturers out there, so I chalked it up to a general opinion of the industry.

I wanted to order a simple lighting bezel (the oval piece of wood that a lighting fixture mounts to in the ceiling; my trailer came equipped with the basic rv lighting fixture that you find above your head for reading in bed, and I wanted to fancy it up a bit by installing a pendant light fixture), and was pretty happy with how helpful the parts rep was via email. She asked for the last 6 numbers of my VIN, then quickly replied with the part number and said there would be a 2-3 week lead time due to the need to stain the wood to match my rig's color scheme (that's what the VIN was for, presumably). She also provided a part number and price for the stock light, which I wasn't interested in, so I just disregarded the information.

I asked her what the next step was to get the thing ordered, and she said that "If you wish to place an order I will need your shipping address and telephone number. On the day the order is ready to ship we will call you for your credit card."

I gave her my address, and about a month later, I got an email from a different parts clerk saying that the parts were in, along with an invoice for the $20.24 bezel, the $48.38 light fixture, and $47.44 for shipping...$111.06 total!

I quickly replied and apologized if there was a miscommunication, but that I was only interested in the bezel...and that $47.44 was a ridiculous amount for shipping.

I was then forwarded back to the original rep (Michelle) with whom I was initially dealing. Instead of amending the order to reflect the part I had inquired about, she attached my original email and said "I clearly stated the pricing and parts I would order for you. These parts were custom made and ordered for you."

Really? The part in dispute was the stock lighting fixture that came on the higher end models...Heartland apparently has those custom fabricated on an on demand basis? Unlikely.

My point is this: it's not the fact that the order got messed up, or even the ridiculous shipping charge which nearly doubled the order. The problem is that Heartland has public-facing personnel who are so quick to go on the offensive over such a low level issue. I mean really, how hard is it to draft an email in a polite tone, even if you feel like the recipient is a deserving of both barrels? C'mon. This is customer service kindergarten.

Aside from this drama, I took my new travel trailer out for its first trip recently; the fridge didn't run on AC power, and the water heater burned up some electronic component while operating on AC power, filling the trailer with smoke. We still had a great time, but seeing this side of Heartland really has me thinking about looking elsewhere when we upgrade in a couple of years.

The bottom line is that any company should go to great lengths to ensure that such easy chinks in the armor are identified and immediately remedied. Honestly, I'm more offended as a professional that I am as a customer.

Anyone else have any similar experiences with Heartland?

GOTTOYS

I have called and purchased parts several times from Heartland..Never once had ANY problems. Nothing but great service and extremely courteous people on the phone...
With regards to your water heater...was there water in it when you turned on the electric power. If not you probably burned up the element. If so they are available at most hardware stores for way less than an RV dealer..Good luck...Don

rangerbait

I have called and purchased parts several times from Heartland..Never once had ANY problems. Nothing but great service and extremely courteous people on the phone...
With regards to your water heater...was there water in it when you turned on the electric power. If not you probably burned up the element. If so they are available at most hardware stores for way less than an RV dealer..Good luck...Don

Your experience is what I was hoping for, but didn't get unfortunately. Yes, I had water in the water heater. It was working fine on AC power for the first two days, then failed thereafter. Fortunately we were right there when it happened, or else it could have gone very differently.

danemayer

Hi rangerbait,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience ordering parts. You're right, the parts person should have just corrected the order for you instead of arguing. My experience with parts has been very positive, but I'm sure once in a while it's possible to run into someone who falls down on the job, for whatever reason.

Most of us have had very positive experiences with Heartland. I hope your next interaction is more the norm.

BLHFUN

Have order parts as well from Heartland and from Michelle. I also had a shipping cost issue, but heartland never argued and corrected the issues within the hour. must have been a rough day or something. No excuses for being Rude, but don't give up on them. Just a bad day.

Ks.Kev

Raingerbait,
Sorry to hear about your problems getting parts........ I have ordered some parts from them, some small problems in obtaining the correct parts.
BUT, they made it good by sending out the correct part the day after I emailed them back of the incorrect part that was sent.
I find sending pictures of what your needing (if this is possible) helps A LOT!!
So, in the end I was pleased with the service I got..... some miscommunication, but in the end they made it right!
BUT, them arguing with you is definitely unacceptable! Hang in there...... I'm sure the next time parts are needed, all will go good for you!

Realist

Well, I wasn't in on the phone conversation so we are hearing only one side of the story.
One thing that stands out at me is the fact that you stated "She also provided a part number and price for the stock light, which I wasn't interested in, so I just disregarded the information".
Now you get the bill and you're suddenly interested.
Had you been interested there may not be a dispute now.
My 2¢, I don't get it.
realist

Lynn1130

I have had nothing but good results when dealing with Customer Service and Parts. They sent the wrong part on one order, told me to keep it and sent out the correct part.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have had great success in writing letters of complaint and complement to supervisors in companies I have dealt with. Write the letter of complaint when unhappy explaining things in detail. Write the thank you letter when you get great service. You would be suprised to see the results. Keep in mind either type of letter will usually go in the employee's personnel file. Too many complaints and they will be shown the door. Enough good letters may get them either a promotion or pay raise. Besides how does the supervisor know who is doing a good or bad job wthout that feedback?

rangerbait

Well, I wasn't in on the phone conversation so we are hearing only one side of the story.
One thing that stands out at me is the fact that you stated "She also provided a part number and price for the stock light, which I wasn't interested in, so I just disregarded the information".
Now you get the bill and you're suddenly interested.
Had you been interested there may not be a dispute now.
My 2¢, I don't get it.
realist

What don't you get? I asked for the one part (the wooden bezel) that required customization, and Michelle arbitrarily added an additional part to the invoice. I apologized if there had been a miscommunication, and reiterated that I only wanted the part I originally inquired about.

Let's say for the sake of argument that I HAD requested the light, then changed my mind...how would you have responded as a customer service rep?

avvidclif

She added a part to the order and you ignored it, who's fault is that. You should have corrected it and deleted the light.

rangerbait

She added a part to the order and you ignored it, who's fault is that. You should have corrected it and deleted the light.
Perhaps...but even if I was 100% in the wrong, I would be pretty I displeased to have one of my public facing representatives communicating with customers in that way, if I were running Heartland.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I don't know about anyone else, but I've always had Great service from the Heartland Customer Service department. I've not liked the answer to a couple of my questions, but I knew they were long shots when I asked. However, when I needed parts or authorization for work I've always been treated with respect and helpfulness. Sometimes I get a little frustrated because I'll be working with one rep and then they leave and I have to work with someone different. But in the end, I've always gotten good service. Sorry to hear you've had problems, but my experience has been just the opposite of yours.

Keith

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I have never had a bad experience with HL service or parts. I wanted to add a cupboard door. I called, gave them the size I needed, my VIN# for the stain color. Three weeks later I received the door and it was perfect. Sounds to me you got someone having a bad day or a newby.

rangerbait

I have never had a bad experience with HL service or parts. I wanted to add a cupboard door. I called, gave them the size I needed, my VIN# for the stain color. Three weeks later I received the door and it was perfect. Sounds to me you got someone having a bad day or a newby.

I reckon that was the case...since I'm ultimately more concerned with results, I'll definitely give them another chance. Question: I received the updated quote yesterday, and the part I ordered is $20.24, but the shipping is $35.62...so $55.86 for a $20 part. I had my 200 lb. ProPride hitch shipped from Michigan to California for under $100 via the same carrier (UPS Ground). I'd hate to see the shipping cost if I wanted to order a replacement sofa or something :eek:

Bogie

I have had nothing but good service from Heartland parts. I ordered a replacement glass for an overhead bin and when it came the design in the glass was reversed. Apparently the supplier changed the orientation. Heartland made it right by sending replacements for all the doors with glass and at no charge. They are aces in my book!

With regard to the shipping charge. You really can't make an apples to apples comparison. Many companies subsidize their shipping costs within the price. Ever wonder why you can buy the same item for the same price from two different companies and one offers free shipping and the other doesn't? It's usually because they are taking a smaller profit margin to keep the shipping cost down. They know you are more likely to buy when you see "Free Shipping". Also, many companies have negotiated better shipping rates. Have you ever ordered from Amazon with free shipping and the sent it back? The cost can be quite high. You can't fault Heartland if they pass their cost on to you.

ILH

I wouldn't classify my experience as "terrible" - but my last experience wasn't stellar. I called parts and enquired about a cupboard door for the opening in my kitchen (some of the Road Warriors have a blank space without a cupboard door). I spoke with the representative and discussed dimensions. My call was more than 2 weeks ahead of the Goshen rally - so that potentially I could pick up the door and save on shipping. The service person said she'd call me back. She took my name and number and I never heard from her again.

brianlajoie

I reckon that was the case...since I'm ultimately more concerned with results, I'll definitely give them another chance. Question: I received the updated quote yesterday, and the part I ordered is $20.24, but the shipping is $35.62...so $55.86 for a $20 part. I had my 200 lb. ProPride hitch shipped from Michigan to California for under $100 via the same carrier (UPS Ground). I'd hate to see the shipping cost if I wanted to order a replacement sofa or something :eek:

I had a small water problem (of my making) and asked Heartland if I could order 3 pieces of door jamb. Since I was on my way to Goshen, I said I would pick it up. When I arrived to pick up my order, I recieved 3 pieces of door trim instead of door jamb. I asked that since I needed the door jamb, if they could help me out with getting the correct part. No problem, they reprocessed the paper work and we picked up the 3 door jambs from their supply. Two things I have noticed that apply to your issue. (1) Every part shipped out has to be boxed using a custom process. I saw the process. (I also saw the same custom packing process when I visited MORryde.) There are no empty boxes of a standard size to put your parts in. (2) If you ask politely and respectfully, I have found that most people will want to help you. From reading the tone of your posts and the chip on your shoulder - chang both will go a long way to getting what you need. Maybe you just don't know...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've only contacted them three times and not had a problem. But, yes, their shipping costs are crazy.

As far as the water heater on 120V, have you tried pressing the Hi-Limit reset button(s)? Those are under the black rubber cover on the face of the (Suburban) water heater. One is for 12V operations, the other is for 120V. I think the one on the left is the 120V side. When I had a problem with it working on propane, it was the 12V switch that I had to replace. Pretty simple to do, if it gets to that.