MPG leak and cracking skin HELP!!!

douwe

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have a question about my MPG. We have been having a leak for the last couple of months. the water comes out around the screw heads in the upper part of the back window. the paneling just above the window is bulging/bubbling so I'm convinced the roof/skin above the window is leaking and the water is trickling under the skin and finding an exit around the window frame.

above the leak is a rear light fixture on the outside skin but the caulking seems fine and water spray on that light and on the window would not make the leak show up. I am now noticing fine hairline cracks in the skin above it where it curves.

so my question is, how do I fix the skin cracking and any thoughts on where this leak might be originating?

We're really concerned because a few more weeks and I'm sure we'll start getting mold in there and with each storm, the inside paneling is being destroyed further.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

Douwe

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
if you are talking about a delamination issue there are dealers that can fix that. They inject glue beneath the skin and then clamp it down. But the first thing to do is to recaulk the area that is leaking. Usually it is along the roof seam(s). Even a pin sized hole can let in more water that you would think.

douwe

if you are talking about a delamination issue there are dealers that can fix that. They inject glue beneath the skin and then clamp it down. But the first thing to do is to recaulk the area that is leaking. Usually it is along the roof seam(s). Even a pin sized hole can let in more water that you would think.

No, it's not delaminating, it looks like the top, shiny layer of the skin (a gel coat??) is cracking.