Electric Braking System

Wyndryder

I have a Cyclone 3100 TH. I had a new electrical (brakes/lights) outlet installed in the bed of my truck so I didn't have to have the cord hanging over and possibly catching on the bumper. I was told that everything was good to go. Well...I'm not real sure if my brakes are working properly. Today was the 1st time since I had the 2nd connector installed. Left today to go camping and the camper feels like it is pushing me when I slow down. I adjusted the gain, and I can usually feel and hear when the trailer brakes engage, I am getting none of this. I plugged the cord into the original connection and it doesn't seem to be working either.

Is there a fuse in the Cyclone I need to check to see if it has blown? I am also looking in my truck manual to see if there is one for it as well.

The closest camping world is 70 miles from me. I am at a KOA in Bristol, TN.

Thanks,
WyndRyder

jimtoo

Hi WyndRyder,

First thing to check is to make sure all the fuses are good in your truck, both under hood and under dash.

danemayer

Hi Wyndryder,

You can test the trailer brakes by pulling the breakaway cable (while hooked up and stopped in a safe place). If the trailer brakes are working, and you have a charged up trailer battery, your trailer brakes should lock. Then put the breakaway cable back into its switch and the brakes should unlock. If the truck connector is passing voltage to the trailer, manually pressing the brake controller should do the same thing. If not, you have a blown fuse in the truck, or a wiring problem that came with the work that was done.

wdk450

Do you have a built-in, or add-on, brake controller in your truck? My add-on Prodigy brake controller has a manual lever to test the trailer electric brakes before road travel. I would think the truck built-in controllers would have a similar function. Doing this test not only tests the trailer braking system independent of the truck's braking system, and it also tests the integrity of your king pin hitch-up, so you don't accidentally drop the trailer on the road.

Read a manual, or ask the brake wiring installer. Knowing how to do this trailer braking test is a vital to safety.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sure they installed the connector harness correctly? I installed my own and there isn't much to it. Essentially, it's a "Y" pigtail harness that splits the signal from the truck to both of the receptacles. Make sure all connections are secure. I once had a loss of brakes due to oxidation on the outlet and plug terminals. Spray some contact cleaner on them and work them a bit occasionally, especially if your rig doesn't move much.

Also possible that something got crossed during the install, shorted, and blew the fuse for the trailer harness in your main fuse panel for the truck.

Wyndryder

They have installed them b4 in my other trucks. I'm sure it was done correctly, but I guess anything is possile. Downloaded the trouble shooting page on it, so will check tomorrow.
Thanks!
Happy 4th! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

Wyndryder

I'm camping til Monday, hopefully I can get it sorted out by then, if not I will have to do as you said in a safe place on my way back home.

Thanks!