water bypass

ILH

I have a question for other RW owners. My 2013 model does not have an external water bypass valve in the UDC, similar to other Heartland branded rigs. I was wondering if this is the same for other RW, or if maybe I got a unit that was destined for warmer climates. My bypass valves (all three) are inside the basement - requiring the wall to be taken down each time.

danemayer

Hi ILH,

Some models have a UDC water heater bypass, others have the 3 valve arrangement behind the basement wall. I think the toy haulers mostly (maybe all) come with the 3 valves.

ILH

When I saw the 'standard' UDC on all the other models at Goshen, I figured there had to have been a mistake. Certainly the toyhaulers are not all low-end models, so it seems odd to require owners to disassemble basement walls twice yearly to access the valves.

danemayer

it seems odd to require owners to disassemble basement walls twice yearly to access the valves.

I agree it would be easier to have the UDC bypass valve.

Our Landmark has the UDC bypass valve, but there are other reasons I have to go into the plumbing area from time to time. After the 3rd time, I put a hinge on the bottom edge so it would be easier. Others have put in access panels to reach the valves and water pump.

ILH

I guess it's just one of those things that makes you ask why. I'll make a point of putting in an access 'window' of some sort before fall.

Thanks.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I guess it's just one of those things that makes you ask why. I'll make a point of putting in an access 'window' of some sort before fall.

Thanks.

attachment.php

I cut an access panel into the side of the UDC. The opening is a bit smaller than the plywood panel over it and I made a frame with the latches to hold it in place. This gives me access to the back of the water heater and all of the valves and water pump. Sorry I couldn't get pic to rotate right.

Attachments

• UDC.JPG
    UDC.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 169

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I put a hinge on the bottom of mine and a "barrel" latch on the top to keep it shut.

Attachments

• trailer mods 017 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 017 (Large).jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 82
  • trailer mods 018 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 018 (Large).jpg
    104 KB · Views: 76
  • trailer mods 007 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 007 (Large).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 75
  • trailer mods 016 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 016 (Large).jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 74

porthole

Retired
I put a hinge on the bottom of mine and a "barrel" latch on the top to keep it shut.

Bob's been waiting to show off all his fancy diamond plate work :rolleyes: Looks pretty gosh darn good too.

When I saw the 'standard' UDC on all the other models at Goshen, I figured there had to have been a mistake. Certainly the toyhaulers are not all low-end models, so it seems odd to require owners to disassemble basement walls twice yearly to access the valves.

Was kind of new at this stuff back in August 2009, so I just added a marine "pie plate"
I went with a 4" plate. If I ever re-do it I will change to a 8" plate.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=83083&viewfull=1#post83083

jbeletti

Bob's been waiting to show off all his fancy diamond plate work :rolleyes: Looks pretty gosh darn good too.

I've seen this is person. You need sunglasses on when he turns the lights on in the storage bay :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Duane that stuff was put on 4-5 years ago. Its just shiny plastic diamond plate that comes in a roll. I bought from some guy in NJ. Construction adhesive is a wonderful thing.

JB, I have pair of atomic bomb test sunglasses from Los Alamos (yes I'm that old) that I keep in there to wear.