How Do I Re-seal This

rxbristol

The seal between the rubber roof and gutter needs to be re-sealed. How do I prep it? Which sealant do I use?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 410
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 406

olcoon

From the looks of things, this is the caulk that is in contact with the rubber roof. If I remember correctly (and I'm probably not!), use Dawn dishwashing soap to clean the area around the caulking & roof, rinse it good, and let it completely dry. Then use Dicor self leveling caulk. Never use silicone or any other type of caulk on the rubber roof, as it will damage the rubber roofing. The new Dicor self leveling caulk can be applied over the old caulk, but it must be cleaned good so it will stick to the old caulk, and rubber roof. It can be bought at any RV store. If I'm wrong about prepping the roof prior to applying the new caulk, someone will soon correct me!

danemayer

The seal between the rubber roof and gutter needs to be re-sealed. How do I prep it? Which sealant do I use?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rex,

That cracking looks unusual to me - maybe a bad batch of caulk. I'd suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Share those pictures and get their opinion on what's going on. You might need to do more than just around the gutters and I'd think bad caulk would be covered under your 2 year LM warranty even though caulking is normally only covered for 90 days.

Last edited:

hriker

You can clean that area with denatured alcohol and recaulked over the old. You can get denatured alcohol at Home Depot or Lowe's. Recaulked my seams this spring.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
For that area, wouldn't the non-self leveling be better so it doesn't flow over the edge? That's the horizontal trim along the length of the roof in the sides, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

I did mine with the narrow (3/4 inch?) Dicor sealing tape (like Eternabond). Yes, it took about 70 feet of it, but I should never have to bother with it again.

rxbristol

I did mine with the narrow (3/4 inch?) Dicor sealing tape (like Eternabond). Yes, it took about 70 feet of it, but I should never have to bother with it again.

Bill, did you have the same problem? Did you go over the Eternabond with a Dicor product, especially the top edge?

- - - Updated - - -

For that area, wouldn't the non-self leveling be better so it doesn't flow over the edge? That's the horizontal trim along the length of the roof in the sides, no?

That's what I was thinking.

wdk450

We haven't got much rain here in California to see if there is a major problem. I more noticed the air conditioning condensation water dripping through this strip. I just used the tape, no sealant. The tape is supposed to last 15 years.

MTPockets

Mine had a similar appearance that was just on the caulk surface. Lot's of sun will do that to some caulks. Starting on one end, I used a small flat blade screwdriver to pry up the caulk which then peeled off in strips from 2 - 3 ft each. I then replaced the caulk using Proflex brand RV sealant which is a bit tricky to work with, but does a great job. It's very sticky, but once I got the hang of it, it was an easy application. Been on two years now and still looks good.

sjandbj

Bill,
would you be so kind as to post a couple of pictures of your work. I like the idea of the tape. When i re roofed my first trailer I used the Eternabond tape over the front and back roof caps, and all the vents. That was the best thing i ever did. no need to recaulk every year. I never thought to use it along the sides.
Regards,
Steve

rxbristol

Bill,
would you be so kind as to post a couple of pictures of your work. I like the idea of the tape. When i re roofed my first trailer I used the Eternabond tape over the front and back roof caps, and all the vents. That was the best thing i ever did. no need to recaulk every year. I never thought to use it along the sides.
Regards,
Steve

I, also, would like to see pictures. I was wondering if you taped over the gutter seal.