Exterior Speaker install

RubiconAg

I plan on installing a set of exterior speakers on our 08 BC. Has anyone installed a set of these or have pictures of the 09 units that have them pre-installed? I am curious how the penetration through the exterior wall works. I will obviously have to caulk completely around the speaker and the mounting screws but I want to make sure that I don't lose integrity of insulation values through the speakers. I was think about mounting them above our storage compartment which would put the wire/back of speaker penetrating behind the dresser in the master. This would make it simple to run the wires back to the stereo....

TIA

Nick

jbeletti

...I want to make sure that I don't lose integrity of insulation values through the speakers...

Nick,

If you plan to flush mount these into the exterior sidewall, then I'd think you'd be removing block foam insulation to provide the depth required for the speaker. Removing the insulation will affect the insulation value at those locations.

I wouldn't let that stop you from proceeding with your project - just wanted to clarify that there would be an effect, albeit minimal. Make sure you locate the studs in advance so you don't try to cut out a chunk of sidewall over a stud.

RubiconAg

Nick,

If you plan to flush mount these into the exterior sidewall, then I'd think you'd be removing block foam insulation to provide the depth required for the speaker. Removing the insulation will affect the insulation value at those locations.

I wouldn't let that stop you from proceeding with your project - just wanted to clarify that there would be an effect, albeit minimal. Make sure you locate the studs in advance so you don't try to cut out a chunk of sidewall over a stud.

Jim,
All great points that I will keep in mind. I was thinking about the foam insulation. After looking at production images it looks like the wall section consists of the interior wood laminate, about 2"-2-1/2" of foam and the exterior laminate with gelcoat finish. I figure I will have to remove just about all of this to install the speakers as most have a depth of at least 2-3/4". I am curious though if typically there would be a box or the like behind the speakers (on the inside of the rig) to re-gain some insulation values as well as create a chamber for the speakers.

Also, to those that have cut through the gelcoat, how do you keep it from cracking and create a clean cut?

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Exterior Speakers

Don't know about the repair of any R-value, but my Cyclone does have boxes on the inside of the coach where the exterior speakers are installed. One is in the main closet and another in the cabinet to the right-hand side of the dresser. I can get photos posted this evening, if you desire. I know one thing, without speakers installed in the bedroom ceiling, just open the closet and cabinet doors for a little more volume! :D:cool:

jbeletti

Nick,

As HT suggests, the factory may build that out on the inside to regain the lost insulation.

You are doing your own so it's up to you. Now that you are a bit more dialed into what you want, what it will take and what others have noticed on theirs, you may now want to consider calling the factory to ask for the BC Brand Manager or post your question in the BC ATF forum.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I will tell you what I did for exterior speakers. I installed a pair of bookshelf speakers, the type that are made to be mounted outside. They are about 8" x 4" & 4" deep. The speakers were a nice size to mount next to the LP bottle. Mounted one high and the other one low, so they are behind the LP bottle storage door. They are out sight when traveling and at the campsite, just open the door about 4" and you have camp songs. I also have a cord and reel mounted inside the storage area, so all I need to do for power is pull end of the cord. Easy out and easy in. setting up lights, etc. is real easy.