Rubber band around AM/FM antenna issue . . . !

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
There used to be a 'Ask The Heartland Factory' forum . . . but it seems to be gone now.

So I will ask this question here hoping that someone from above can answer a very simple question.

OK . . . I just recently bought my second Heartland product in just under 2 1/2 years, and both suffered from the same problem!

And that problem is something very simple that wouldn't cost Heartland a dime . . . yet causes almost EVERY SINGLE PURCHASER of a Heartland product lots of grief . . . and often hours of trying to fix this problem that shouldn't be a problem at all.

And by this, I am talking about the lazyness of the line workers who don't seem to have the time to pop the rubber band off of the AM/FM diapole radio antenna . . . so that the stock radios that come in our Heartland products don't pick up any radio stations as it is wrapped up in a tiny ball the size of a bubble gum ball, then stuffed inside of the wall or a cabinet so that it is hard to get at to fix!!!

Now, typically this isn't a big deal, as in my old 2013 Heartland Trail Runner it took me all of 10 minutes to fix.

But yesterday (while on a July 4th. Weekend Campout) I spent two hours trying to get at the back of the Fusion stereo unit installed in our brand new 2015 Heartland Prowler to get at this antenna so that I could take the rubber band off (simple procedure . . . right???) and stretch it out so that we could enjoy listening to the radio.

But Nnnoooooooooo . . . !

I tried everything to get at the back of this stereo, including dismantling part of the entertainment center . . . and the only thing I accomplished was to re-eneregize my rotator cuff issues which I just spent six months in physical therapy and roughly $3000 in doctor bills to halfway relieve the pain . . .

And I'm a stereo dude that knows how to hook up stereo systems with the best of them!

And I never got into that little space where that stereo system resides . . .

Now, I've read many a topic thread around here about this issue, which is why I'm trying to get the factory to see this so that they can speak to the stereo installers on the assembly line to take the 1/100th of a second to pop that rubber band so that future Heartland purchasers don't have to suffer the same fate that those of us who have already purchased one (or more than one) Heartland product!

And since I was unable to get at the back of this stereo, I'm hoping that Heartland will pay my dealership to fix this antenna problem (which again, wouldn't cost them one dime if they had their workers do this right during assembly of the trailer in the first place) when I take it in soon to fix a few other issues (mostly minor) we've found with our new 2015 Prowler as I'm going to put that down as an issue!

And I know that my dealership charges $134/hour for repair issues . . .

Last edited:

danemayer

John,

I'd suggest calling Heartland and asking to speak with Ryan Brady, the Prowler, Trail Runner, Pioneer General Manager.

JohnD

John,

I'd suggest calling Heartland and asking to speak with Ryan Brady, the Prowler, Trail Runner, Pioneer General Manager.

I may just do that, however, this is not just a Prowler, Trail Runner and Pioneer issue.

There have been countless topic threads started about this . . . including Big Horn's and Landmark's, and just about every other Heartland brand!

Hopefully, maybe this issue can be stopped . . .

I know that If I operated that way were I work . . . I wouldn't have a job!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
First time even heard of this and been on the forum since 2006. Learn something new every day.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not the same problem, but my cobbled together radio antenna cord and wall mounted antenna couldn't pick up a station if we parked next to the transmitter. From the forum, I learned to connect the receiver to the TV antenna and got all kinds of stations. Just as well, since the wall mounted antenna either broke off or is on someone else's rig. All that's left is the base. No loss, really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
JohnD, not sure of your radio model but on mine I had to take a faceplate off and then remove 4 screws and the unit then comes out. My antenna wire was rubber banded and not attached at all. I was actually hooking my TV sound out to the surround sound system when I found the antenna.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnD

I have the 'Fusion' stereo/DVD player, that looks like the old car stereos from 10 years ago.

I removed the stereo faceplate, but of course it has an anti-theft mounting base, which covers the screws.

I tried to pop it off, but to no avail.

It is loose in the opening, and I tried several ways to pop it out . . . again to no avail.

Which is why I tried to come in through the bottom of the cabinet, but after removing all of the screws that appear to hold the bottom in . . . nothing came loose.

I suppose I could bust out the saw, but I was hoping to not have to resort to such drastic measures!

I have a Elkridge and it was the same way all balled up and a rubber band around it. I stretched it out and now can listen to radio outside. Mine is a Jenson and was able to unscrew the for screws in face plate. Wish you luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

My former Heartland Trail Runner had the Jensen stereo . . . four screws and out!

If the opening was big enough in our new trailer, I'd put a Jensen in it!