Probably a Stupid Question, but here gores.........

TX_Clay

Recently put a TST 507 on my Cyclone 3010. It works perfectly and I see the benefits of having it. So here is my stupid question.
The system monitors pressure and temperature while mounted on the valve stem. I get the pressure part. That is pretty easy. How does it get the temperature? Seeing it is on the end of a stem. I assume that the air in the tire is moving around, but the air in the stem isn't. Like I said, stupid question.

'Lil Guy'

I never gave it much thought but I'm sure it's reading the air temp inside of the tire. As the tire heats up, so goes the air temperature. The tire sensor reads both the air pressure and the temperature and relays both to the pickup and display. The temp reading is important showing problems like under inflation wheel bearing failure, or even a dragging brake pad or shoe. When people are feeling their tires at rest stops, they're checking for those problems. It's a great feature to have.

avvidclif

I always figured it read mostly off the air but also off the metal valve stem. Who knows. It works.

dlw930

The Valor TPMS displayed at the Goshen rally has a sensor installed against the inside wall of the tire that measures the actual air pressure and temperature inside the tire every 4 seconds. I assume the systems that mount in the valve stem measure the air pressure and temperature at the stem as well since that's where the sensor is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miltp920

i never gave this much thought, but now that I think about my system, it depresses the valve stem when you screw it on. So I assume there must be some movement of air in and out of the stem as temperatures change. I think it is actually sensing the air temperature via the stem, just like it does the pressure. there is probably a bimetallic element that varies a small current from the battery based on temperature rise/change. change in current is directly related to change in temperature of the metal conductor. I look at mine and it is usually within a degree from what my truck mirror temp is reading at the start of the trip.

Jim-Lynn

The TST system monitors tire temp by the valve stem, fairly accurate. The valor, which I have, is mounted to the rim & gives you the inside temp & air pressure.

Jim

MurrayN.

Once I go full timing I will get one of these monitoring systems for my tires. Right now all that I use is one of those IR / laser instant temp sensors to check all my tires and my brake drums when I stop to refuel. What is surprising is how much the sunny side of the trailer varies from the shaded side.

What I would like to see from the manufacturers besides the disc breaks option is a on-the-go tire inflation like some of the highway trailers use. I deal with a lot of truckers and everyone who has one loves it. You can keep a slowly leaking tire at full working pressure until you have a chance to have it fixed. Saves a lot of this from overheating.