Tinting Windows

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Has anyone had thier T.T. windows tinted? Is there a benefit to having this done? Would automotive tint work? I see the Heartland 5'res have this standard, so I assume there is some benefits in having this done. Thanks for the help.

medic9016

I am tinting mine in the next few weeks. The main reasons we are tinting is to keep the sun from fading the fabrics and to add a layer of insulation for both summer and winter. I have not decided on a good grade automotive or home grade film.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I did my last 5th wheel with the darkest film I could find at Walmart. I don't know if it helped with anything other than making the bedroom darker which was our intention in the first place. I first used the outside of the window to cut the film to size then applied it inside. It worked well but I took extra care to get all the air bubbles out.

theharveys

We used to have an Aliner popup and it had the gold solar tinting. It really helped keep out the heat and you could not see inside the trailer during the day unless you went right up to the window.

Delaine and Lindy

The Landmark we just got has reflective windows, and due reflect a lot of light, however I am not sure I like this type window as much as I did the tinted windows. We will see and may have the windows in certain areas tinted. GBY....

Any good tint shop can do the windows in a 5th wheel..

SmokeyBare

I tinted all windows in our old Fifth Wheel... We didn't have dual pane windows so the tint material helped when I was running the A/C... it seemed to cut down on the sun radiant heat.

Bought the Window Tint at Home Depot... and took time rough cutting the material before I applied it to the windows. Started by cleaning the windows.... checking for streaks and lint before I applied the film/tint.

Tools needed was a Spray bottle of water, plastic squeegee, scissors and a razor knife and a straight edge. I used a sheet of plywood for a cutting surface so I wouldn't mar the counter tops and table top.

Once each was cut to just over size of the window... Following the directions... I sprayed the window with the water bottle.... applied the Film/tint and used the squeegee to work the bubbles of air from under the film/tint. Once it was free of all air bubbles I would cut the edges to the shape of the window.

The results were good.... not a one ever pealed. Nice advantage too was it made it difficult to look into the RV during the daylight hours. The reflective surface made the windows look like a mirror.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
On our previous trailer we had the windows tinted and it made a big difference in our opinion. The air did not work as hard and the trailer was cooler.
I hated to have the drilling but this winter in Texas we had a white sun screen installed on our large back window like the big class A units (3400RL) it really works good. We felt with the day and night shades and the trimming the tinting would have been a hassle. My first choice would be the black limo tinting.
Regards
Wayne

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
On our previous trailer we had the windows tinted and it made a big difference in our opinion. The air did not work as hard and the trailer was cooler.
I hated to have the drilling but this winter in Texas we had a white sun screen installed on our large back window like the big class A units (3400RL) it really works good. We felt with the day and night shades and the trimming the tinting would have been a hassle. My first choice would be the black limo tinting.
Regards
Wayne
Wayne, any chance of a couple pictures? I want to do an outside screen as well. I'm thinking of installing the type they sell at Home D for about $80. Where did you find yours? Thanks!

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I[d like to see what he's talking about. I'm not familiar with these things. It would be helpful to see one...so, I know what to look for at home depot...and to see if it is something "El Stupido" could do. I'm not exactly high on the Mr Handy list.

Delaine and Lindy

When we were in Mission Tx. two winters in a row we noticed a lot of the Screens and were going to have some made but had to leave and never got around to it. However most anything you need for a 5th wheel you will see in the RGV. Many winter Texans in the valley. I would also be interested in seeing this addition. GBY....