Cyclone generator fuel tank-approximate run time

OEFVET

Can anyone advise approximately how many hours an Onan 5500 will run on 18 gallons?

danemayer

Hi Chris,

The Onan Spec sheet shows for the gas generator, fuel usage is between .3 and .9 gallons per hour depending on load. Under 1/2 load, 18/.6 = 30 hours.

jam20ster

My experience has been 10 gallons per about 18 hours of usage. I have done this twice as I work shift work and have started to use my camper as a graveyard room also. The only things on where the 2 ac's and bedroom tv to watch a movie. Hope this helps.

porthole

Retired
Can anyone advise approximately how many hours an Onan 5500 will run on 18 gallons?

Chris, this year for the first time I somewhat kept track of fuel usage at Dover
My Onan use was mixed with a Honda 3000IS.

My numbers; Onan 72 hours, fuel burned 50.9 gallons. I figure at a minimum, 12 of those gallons went into the Honda. That leaves 38.9 gallons for 72 hours for .54 gallons per hour, which is exactly what I always approximated my use to be.

1-2 AC's, converter and hot water were always on (obviously not always drawing a full load). Temp this year was the same it has been the last 4 - hot.

So your 18 gallon tank run down to 80% (15 gallons) at .6 per hour, gives you probably 25 hours of run time.

Have you seen my portable fuel station yet?

Last edited:

scottyb

My numbers were pretty much inline with Duane's. I ran mine on a few 84 - 96 hour stretches at the boat races. I didn't run the HW heater, and only ran both AC's about 25% of the time, only running 1 the rest of the time. My average was 0.5 GPH.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I was getting fairly poor run times then I changed the spark plug for the first time ( it's a 2010 ) and last year I was getting around .45-.5 gal / hour but I only have one AC unit too

Kevin