Thoughts on Inverter to Power Residential Refrigerator

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Since I have to do some floor work this fall that will be easier if the slide doesn't have a refrigerator in it, I am thinking about replacing our "pain in the rear" Dometic RM1350 with a Samsung Residential model. I know most of the factory inverters are Xantrex or Magnum, but our budget will be a little tight and I found an AIMS 1500Watt Modified Sine Wave Inverter with a built in automatic transfer switch (senses when shore power is coming in and cuts out 12V) for around $300. Any experience or thoughts on this system? Should I just bite the bullet and go with a Xantrex or Magnum and an external switch? What about the Modified Sine Wave vs Pure Sine Wave?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Gus, that AIMS 1500 Watt Modified Sine Wave Inverter does not have very good reviews.
I guess you get what you pay for.

Peace
Dave

boatto5er

Gus, that AIMS 1500 Watt Modified Sine Wave Inverter does not have very good reviews.
I guess you get what you pay for.

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave. Yep, I hadn't had a chance to check the Amazon reviews yet. Doesn't look good. Probably better to ante up a couple hundred extra and go with the Xantrex and an external transfer switch.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Gus - I think that's what rvs for less put in our new LM when the original inverter continually keep cutting out. Its 1500 with an auto sensor. I paid for the difference between the replacement 1000 watts unit that HL was going to send and the 1500 watts unit.

Imurphy

Do not use a xantrex pro xm1000. That is what HE put in my 420. It's dedicated to the HE supplied LG refer. The inverter trips overload every time the refer comes on. I have to run the generator to keep the refer going. 2400 miles and I will be home. Then will rip it and the PO WFCO converter out for a magnum inverter. It will actually run the refer. Aswell as charge the batteries properly.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

From what I have read you defiantly want a pure sine inverter... this is what Heartland put in mine for the residential fridge and it works great.
http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/product-inverter/1000w-12vdc-pure-sine-inverter
Then I added a little more for the rest of the coach and it works even better. You don't want to fry your fridge with a cheap inverter..
b288db182072bae974b128d784960d6b.jpg

boatto5er

How do you get it to run the fridge?

It has to be wired through an Automatic Transfer Switch or a manual switch. I'm putting in a manual switch initially. May go with the automatic later. The switch routes power to the refrigerator outlet from either the circuit breaker box when hooked to shore power, or from the inverter when not on shore power.