Potential future Heartland Wilderness owner

Hello everyone! New here, from Spokane, WA. I'm considering purchasing a 2015 Heartland Wilderness 2875BH Elite Edition. In fact, I hope to make a final decision tomorrow. I have owned 2 travel trailers in the past, a 1970 19' something or other, and our current 1995 26' Nash 26J. I've never purchased new. I've read some horror stories about purchasing new and having immediate issues/problems. In an attempt to avoid the need to write my own horror story, I'm looking for a well thought out "check list" if you will. Something that, before we sign on the dotted line, I can take with me while I perform my own inspection/punch list. I will expect the dealer to allow me to hook up to water, power and sewer, while performing my own inspection.

Also, we're being offered several options for an extended warranty, of course. I'm leaning towards refusing any of these offers, but am open to suggestions. The plans vary from covering only mechanical issues, to covering mechanical AND cosmetic issues, to covering mechanical, cosmetic AND wheels and tires, for a total of 5 years, including the first year of manufacture warranty.

Thanks all for any help, suggestions, or advice you're able to offer. It'll all be deeply appreciated!

danemayer

Hi returnofsid,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. There's lots of great information here along with a bunch of friendly and helpful people.

I'm sure you'll get some links soon to Pre-Delivery Checklists, and also some advice on extended warranties.

Three things I'd suggest on the extended warranties:

- Search the internet for comments and reviews about the company providing the warranty. If there are no comments, that may be a bad sign because companies can come and go, taking your money with them. Expect some bad reviews, but the majority should be positive.

- Read the fine print to see what exactly is included and what's excluded.

- Make sure you'll have coverage that's not limited to one or a few service locations.

Hope to see you somewhere down the road.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Considering how much profit extended warranties make for the sellers, and the hassles in getting coverage or reimbursed, It may be worth while to just set aside the same money in a dedicated for the warranty just for that purpose. If you use it, then it was worthwhile. If not, You have not wasted anything. You also would not be limited by the numerous exclusions or restrictions and could also use the funds for repairs to your tow vehicle if that ever became necessary. If you contributed a sum each month you could build your funds. Your funds would be available to you without expiration too.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
There are several PDI lists on the forum. Use the search box on the top of the portal page. DO NOT buy any after market warranty. A new coach comes with a 1 year warranty. Some componets have a longer warranty. So why bother for the 1st year. When you get ready....look at the Good Sam warranty/insurance plans. JMHO from an old guy.

Thank you all for reassuring me on my choice to forgo the extended warranty! As for a Pre Delivery check list, I've attempted to search, but haven't had much luck. The search function keeps wanting me to narrow down my search by forum, user name, etc. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about this forum to know where to narrow it down to. Also, when I do get search results, they contain links to Wiki, which I'm not allowed to open just yet...lol. Still too new and haven't been vetted as not being spam yet. I completely understand that! Maybe this post will put me in the "safe zone!"