Is the Bighorn concidered a Fulltime RV??

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I went to my dealer today and had some work done to fix some problems. They did great work. I thought I had a problem with the bedroom slide. It seemed to me that when the slide was almost all the way out or as it was just coming in it made a harsh noise. I thought there was a bad problem. I was told if they had to remove the slide to repair it I could not stay in it. That is understandable. I asked if Heartland was going to pay for our motel room. They said no because Heartland does not concider the Bighorn a Fulltime RV. I told them I lived in it fulltime and had no other place to go.

OK.. It turned out good. They did not have to take the slide out and we are down the road staying until Friday. Everything seems to be working great.

Why isn't the Bighorn concidered a fulltime RV.

How many of you live fulltime in a Bighorn.

Heartland.. Any comment?

This is not a rant.. I am just intrested in comments about the Bighorn, I live in it fulltime, so there is no question for me.

So far We love our Bighorn

jpmorgan37

Bob;

This question has come up many times before, including by myself. Here is one answer from Scott Tuttle and as far as I know, Heartlands position hasn't changed. Scott's Response Here is an earlier response by Scott to another question, but it addresses the same issue. Scott's other response

John

Delaine and Lindy

We have owned 4 5th wheels and lived in one for 9.5 months and the last one we were full timing. I personally don't think any 5th wheel is designed to be lived in full time. However I know many people who are living in many different type 5th wheels. I do believe the Heartland can be used for full timing, but a lot depends on were you park it in the winter months. I know people who are living in a Montana in Alaska, but did have some problems with the unit freezing up this past winter, Black tank froze up:mad:. Now thats a problem I wouldn't want to deal with. As for the appliances they will just last for so long and will have to be replaced. Above all you will have to do a lot of repairs yourself. We must remember a house on wheels that can be moved thru out this beautiful country is going to have problems. The biggest problem is Propane, the heating will suck up a lot of propane. I suggest you have small heaters at least three but don't turn you propane system off completely it will help prevent the basement area from freezing. I do think if your unit is in the shop and you are full timing that the RV manufactor should pay for the Hotel bill, but you know as well as I do that the clause in the owners manual will prevent that its a large CYA thing that most use. GBY.....

StevieWonder

I'm pretty sure your owner's manual and other documents that come with the rig at time of purchase are emphatic and quite clear that the rig is NOT built to be, nor sold as, a full time live-in unit. The reasons were pretty much covered in an earlier post on this thread but there are other issues with interior moisture control (also specifically mentioned in the owner's manual) and construction to a different set of codes.

Lots of people do it, but it's not designed, constructed or sold for that purpose.

jpmorgan37

I do think if your unit is in the shop and you are full timing that the RV manufactor should pay for the Hotel bill,

We live in our Landmark full time, and we all have our opinions, but the fact of the matter is that the manufacturer states clearly that it is for recreational purposes. Scott answered the question and I can't, in good conscience, expect a manufacturer to pay for lodging when they make their position clear. On the other hand, Heartland has gone above and beyond with many of their customers to provide services that weren't required by the written word as has been attested to here on the forum. People have made reasonable requests and these have been responded to. Offers have been made by Heartland when no requests have been made. This is the kind of company that Heartland is. JMHO

John

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thank you for your responses..
As indicated above the manufactures do not consider this to be lived in fulltime. We just got our manual on the trailer yesterday (none of the trailers had one in the documentation from Heartland, so I requested one). The manual is like most others very general. However on the last page of the manual it specifically stipulates that these are not constructed to be lived in full time.

One other thing that was stipulated was that the moisture control is important, as was indicated in a previous post. We just had a second fantastic fan installed in the forward area of the trailer because there is a door separating the living area and the bedroom area. When you take a shower it includes a lot of moisture inside the unit. This should help in cooling the trailer and reducing condensation.

I have learned a lot from this forum about my Bighorn. Thank each of you for your responses.

madigand

We have been in Full-time in our 3670 for about a year. We have experienced no major problems yet. Just some minor ones we repaired ourselves with Heartland providing the parts.