Olevia TV Remote

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
:confused: Is there a secret to operating the Olevia remote? The problem I had was in the process of switching from satellite to cable operation and back. I usually don't have a problem in figureing out the operation of a new TV, but this one is the most complicated that I have ever seen. I have a new Visio TV at home and it is so simple. I guess I may be making it too difficult but any help would be appreciated.:cool:
Bill

linuxkidd

The secret seems to be that to get from one input to another, you have to hit the Input select button (may be called something different on the remote) and cycle through each input in succession until you get to the input you want.

The other thing I've noticed is that it doesn't respond well to rapid cycling... Gotta hit the button.. wait.. repeat...

I personally use a Harmony Remote (computer programmable event based remote... ), and I had to adjust the delay times between input selection to get it to work right..

Hope this helps..
LK

bsummit

Thanks LK, hopefully with a little more use I'll get it figured out. I'll have 3 weeks when we're down in Texas to work on it.
Bill

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I don't know which inputs your using but what kidd said is correct, but I did find one helpfull thing. If you are in the composite1 or what ever you have as input for your Satellite all you have to do is press the channel up and down button or just a channel number, like 5 to go to the Air/Cable input. To go back to the Composite1 just press the Source button once and there you are..

bsummit

Bob, thanks for that information, I'll be sure and try that when we go out next time and let you know if it works.
Bill

ChopperBill

In hot pursuit of a 32" for the Bighorn. Guess I will leave Olivia out of the process. I have seen nothing but complaints on the remote. If I were to get one and Renee had to jump trough "hoops" to run the remote it wouldn't be very comfortable around here! :eek:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
In hot pursuit of a 32" for the Bighorn. Guess I will leave Olivia out of the process. I have seen nothing but complaints on the remote. If I were to get one and Renee had to jump trough "hoops" to run the remote it wouldn't be very comfortable around here! :eek:

Actually I have no problem with the Olivia. DW uses two remotes. One for Sat and the other for TV. Normally all she wants is power on/off and volume. We stay on Sat most of the time.

If your looking for a good TV.. I had the Vizio 32" in my last 5er. Took it home to my daughter. It wouldn't fit in the bed room and have the 42" in the living room. I would have liked to installed the 32" Vizio in the bedroom but I did not want to modify the cabinets at this time.

ChopperBill

Been keeping the Vizio high on the list. Seems that now I get serious the price has gone up on most. Could have bought one for $489 a few weeks ago but I hum hawed around and lost out. Story of my life. Keep thinking of spending a few bucks more on a quality name brand but seems most of those aren't rated any better than the low dollar ones.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
I don"t find the Olivia to be any more complicated than any of the digital TV'S, they are all a lot more complicated than they use to be but do soooooooo much more than they did at one time. I have heard a few complaints on the board but as with anything else you can't please all the people all the time but I have had no complaints with mine. We also have a Toshiba digital in the bedroom and I find them both to be fairly complicated sets but with a little effort and an owners manual they can both be used with good results. I think I read on another post that Olivia could not supply all the needed sets so I believe the Landmarks were coming with another brand. Who knows you might even be able to request another brand in the trailer you decide on.

Don

jbeletti

The complaints I have seen on the Olevia are:

- Can't determine the Olevia code to use for the satellite TV remotes
(no problems read about actual issues with Olevia's remote)
- Have to cycle through the various inputs to get to the one you want
(a fairly normal routine on most but not all brands)

As far as I understand it, Olevia is no longer being used in current production Heartland units as Olevia could not meet Heartland's quantity requirements.

Jensen (an Audiovox brand I believe) is now being used. I have a couple in my new unit.

As an aside on the Jensen units, my 19" Jensen in the bedroom does "not" have an HDMI input. Not a huge issue but bear in mind that to utilize satellite HDTV on this 19" set, you will need to use a component video cable set (3 video cables) and a composite audio cable set (2 audio cables - L&R).

I had my satellite installer (Brian from Elkhart Satellite if you need someone good in Elkhart) install the receiver on the shelf in the front closet as there was no good way I could figure out to mount it near the TV. I had them supply an RF (UHF) remote control since an IR (infra red) remote would not be able to see the receiver inside the closet.