Any luck selling your trailer yourself?

GOTTOYS

Been trying to sell my trailer for the past couple weeks on Craigslist. I have it priced about $3,000. under LOW retail NADA book. It also includes a pile of extras and upgrades that I've spent over $5,000 on. Not a single inquiry except from 4-5 "Brokers" who all want to charge me money for nothing. It seems these are pretty hard to sell on your own...I had the same problem with my last 2 rigs and almost gave them away. I found a nice used rig that I want but I don't need two of them. I've noticed others have been for sale for a very long time as well and many of them are great buys. Is this how it is? If so I'm glad I'm not forced to get rid of it but it makes me think before I spend a ton on another one...Don

brianlajoie

Have you looked at rvtrader or rvt on the net? I've seen private listings on those sites. I would think you have more potiential to have people interested in an rv with these web sites instead of Craigslist. I haven't sold anything on these web sites, but I bought my fiver using it.

Snow

JMHO but craigslist is not what it used to be its full of scams and other crap that's has kinda giving it a bad name ,there is someone out there just like you wanting to buy but they just haven't found your ad yet yes rv trader would be good ,here were we live they have a few monthly or bi-weekly trader mags that are full of stuff that's a good source also ,just don't have much faith in graiglist anymore like I said JMHO good luck ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

Bighurt

I lost a bunch of money on the trade but it was well worth the fact I didn't have to deal with selling it. I'm just past my capacity on a loan now though...so it may be a bit for extra's. Really wanted slide toppers.

jam20ster

Thru my experience I have found that campers/Rv's are about the fastest depreciating asset you can by. The market is flooded with used Rv's for sale and about the only way you will sell it is to find the perfect buyer(very rare) or to be a motivated seller. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth. And as far as aftermarket goes, you never recoupe those cost. Improvements only set you apart from the competition as far as someone else having the same rv for sale for the same price and the buyer finds yours more appealing. I buy and sell a lot on craigslist so I do have some experience with this.

brianharrison

I have had success selling my own RVs. However local markets will dictate the price and interest. As mentioned specific sites like the RVTrader are better than generic selling sites like craigslist. Doing pricing homework and pricing accordingly, and making the add `eyecatching` is also important.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When you are motivated to sell . . . Craigslist is great.

When you want what your item is worth and are willing to hold out . . . try someplace else.

happykraut

Don, when I sold one of the Montanas I had, I had it advertised on 10 different FREE web sites. Sold real fast.

sengli

When we upgraded to our big horn, we tried to sell our elkridge for months. Had a couple of bites, but craigslist is the last place I would think of listing it. Seems as if the we also had only brokers reply to the add as well. Had a few bites, but like others have said there are alot of used rigs out there. You just about have to give it away in my mind to sell it. Thats a tough one to have to deal with.

When we talked to the dealer about trading, they flat out said they were only going to offer basically wholesale on it. And they didnt care what options were on the coach. The trade in offer was going to be the same regardless if it was fully loaded or not.

GOTTOYS

Thanks to all for the info. Makes me rethink the whole RV buying process. Better buy what you want the first time or be prepared to keep it forever. Glad I'm not in a bind and NEED to sell it. With regards to pricing, I am currently about $3,000. under low retail and priced lower than most others I have seen. I do have it listed on RVT as well and no bites there either. Mine has been newly painted caps front and rear has a Trail-Air Tri-Glide, Michelins and many other upgrades an experienced RVer would appreciate. I have not raised my price to reflect those items. Knowing what I know now, this will be my last new RV. I've found my dream rig (SOB) at a crazy low price, also for sale. by an owner, and would like to sell this first because I don't need two of them But I have no plans to give it away. I can see now why the other is priced so low.......Don

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks to all for the info. Makes me rethink the whole RV buying process. Better buy what you want the first time or be prepared to keep it forever. Glad I'm not in a bind and NEED to sell it. With regards to pricing, I am currently about $3,000. under low retail and priced lower than most others I have seen. I do have it listed on RVT as well and no bites there either. Mine has been newly painted caps front and rear has a Trail-Air Tri-Glide, Michelins and many other upgrades an experienced RVer would appreciate. I have not raised my price to reflect those items. Knowing what I know now, this will be my last new RV. I've found my dream rig (SOB) at a crazy low price, also for sale. by an owner, and would like to sell this first because I don't need two of them But I have no plans to give it away. I can see now why the other is priced so low.......Don

Keep in mind that sometimes too low a price is signal that there must be something wrong with it. You might try raising your asking price and then be willing to negotiate with a potential buyer especially since you have several upgrades. Great photos help as well. Also you might consider consignment dealers such as PPL in Houston (they sell thousands of RV per year on consignments).

Steadfast

We sold our 2011 Bighorn on Craigslist recently. Like you, we had no calls for over a month. Then we had two parties looking the same day and the second bought it for the asking price. The condition of the coach will make a big difference. Remember that Craigslist will allow you to post multiple adds in surrounding metro areas.
At least here in Idaho, the larger 5th wheels sell better in the fall with parties buying intending to head south for the winter. Good luck.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Don, it cost's nothing to put it on the forum with all the info. In fact I know someone that might be interested. PM me with the info if you want.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Let me just say that I sold my previous truck (1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4) and the topper from my new truck on Craigslist.

I was more concerned with moving them that with what I was going to get for them . . . sold both of them in less than two days on CraigsList!

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• DodgeLastTime-IMG_20140901_194212486.jpg
    DodgeLastTime-IMG_20140901_194212486.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 75
  • DodgeLastTime-IMG_20140901_194233999.jpg
    DodgeLastTime-IMG_20140901_194233999.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 74
  • TruckTopper-IMG_20141004_142131159.jpg