5th Airborne or Trail Air Pin Box

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
:) My next purchase is going to be an air ride pin box. So all you members that have one already installed please give me some feedback as to which ones you think is the best. I have narrowed it down to the two in the title but any other input would be appreciated.
I found a website that sells the airborne for $595.00 including shipping if anyone is interested.

Bill

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
bsummit yes I would be interested in the 5th Airborne air box web site for $595.00 thank you TRAVELER07

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We ordered our 3400 with the trail air and it works well although it doesn't totally remove the chucking on some of the bad concrete roads. I like the fact that I can see it working in the rearview mirror. I've heard good things about the mor-ryde pin box but I don't know from first hand experience. I can't say about the airborne but for $595 it sounds like a great deal.

timk

Bill,
We have a trail-air, and its does a lot, but its not magic. If you look at the airborne and compare the travel, you will see the airborne doesn't have much travel. The trail-air creates a funny (not objectionable) lift sensation when you take off and squats a little when stopping. Perhaps the airborne wouldn't do that because it pivots at the front.

Last summer some guy was next to us with a airborne that wasn't working, no matter how much air we put in it wouldn't lift the rig up. After a while I gave up, couldn't figure what was wrong with it. So between the two I think I would go trail-air again.

But next time, I might think about mor-ride. I do think it would work better with chucking, but do nothing to absorb vertical motion, and thats why we got the trail-air. Like Ray said sometimes you see a big bump coming that you've just got to grin and bear it, I look in the mirror, and think "thank God that shock, and air bag are there".
TimK

pickuphunt

We had a trail air on our 07 3670 Big Horn and now an Airborne on our 09 3600 Big Horn. I think both do more to give the RV a better ride than they do to slow down the chucking on rough pavement. The thing that I didn't like about the trail air was it drops down in the front when unhitched, so when you go to hook up again you need to raise the unit high enough for the trail air to clear the hitch in the pick up and then once the trail air made contact with the pickup hitch the 5th wheel needed to be lowered some so the pickup hitch and the trail air were flat against each other and then you could back up all the way to finally complete the hitch. These were my experiences. I really couldn't tell any difference between the two as far as the pick up ride. As others have said, there are other choices out there for which I can't speak.

jpmorgan37

I have posted on this previously, but will comment on the MorRyde. The MorRyde doesn't do much for the up and down movement, but virtually eliminates the chucking. On my GMC, I installed air bag and that combination worked well to handle the up and down and the MorRyde took care of the chucking. A good combination. I have air suspension on the Ford and I hardly know that the trailer is back there. All of the pin boxes have their advantages, it just depends what you are looking for.

John

bsummit

Bill,
We have a trail-air, and its does a lot, but its not magic. If you look at the airborne and compare the travel, you will see the airborne doesn't have much travel. The trail-air creates a funny (not objectionable) lift sensation when you take off and squats a little when stopping. Perhaps the airborne wouldn't do that because it pivots at the front.

Last summer some guy was next to us with a airborne that wasn't working, no matter how much air we put in it wouldn't lift the rig up. After a while I gave up, couldn't figure what was wrong with it. So between the two I think I would go trail-air again.

But next time, I might think about mor-ride. I do think it would work better with chucking, but do nothing to absorb vertical motion, and thats why we got the trail-air. Like Ray said sometimes you see a big bump coming that you've just got to grin and bear it, I look in the mirror, and think "thank God that shock, and air bag are there".
TimK
TimK, I was reading the installation instruction on the airborne and there was something in there about adjusting the position of air bag in the pin box, moving it back and worth depending on how much the pin weight is. I don't know if that was that guys problem or not.

Bill

iefpro01

I have the 5th Airborne, and I like the improved ride in combination with the airbags I installed (well Cooper Installed). LOL... Of course I have not had any others, so one sided opinion....

truknutt

Committed Member
http://bigdiscountrv.com/fifthwheel-5th-airborne.htm
This is the cheapest I found in researching for pin boxes for about a week. I don't think you can beat it.

Bsummit,

I jumped on this "deal" yesterday, but today I got an e-mail advising me that
"YOUR INTERNET ORDER FOR THE 5TH AIRBORNE AIR RIDE COUPLER HAS TO BE CANCELLED. DUE TO PRICE INCREASES WE CAN NOT OFFER THIS PRODUCT.

THANK YOU

BIG DISCOUNT RV
1-800-787-8295"

Was your order get cancelled? :mad:

Dave

ChopperBill

I got a letter from B&W that does not recommend some of the fancy pants pin boxes. I believe 5th Airborne would be one of them from how the described some. I will see if I can find the letter and post it.

bsummit

TrukNutt, I had not ordered mine yet, so thanks for the warning. I just looked at their web site and now it's 645.00. That is still cheaper than anywhere else, especially with free shipping.

Bill

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
WE have the 5th Airborn and really like it. The only complaint I have is that you have to be a bit of a contortionist to put air in based on the nozzel location..../Doug

pickuphunt

We had our dealer put an extension hose from the bag back to a bracket at the rear of the airborn. Works for me.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Pickuphunt...don't know why you needed to do so much to connect with a Trailair. We find it very simple. We tilt the hitch plate down in the back, closest to the trailer, raise the pin so that the angled-up edge is slightly above the angled-down edge of the hitch plate, and simply back up to the pin. The pin will "walk" right up the plate and lock immediately into place, leveling the hitch plate automatically. Couldn't be simplier! That's why the plate on your hitch pivots. This method also makes certain you don't "high pin" your hitch...which can cause damage and potentionally cause you to drop the trailer on the truck bed.

Extremely happy with the way Trailair works too!

kognito

I do not know Heartland's position on this, but many RV manufacturer's do not like the 5th airborne for some reason. Our manufacture has stated that they do not recommend use of the airborne hitch.

We own a Demco Glide-Ride hitch, but I like the looks of the Trailer Air (2 shock unit)

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
We Just returned from Texas 10274 KMs with MorRyde. Big Improvement from standard Pin Box. I don't know why but we do not get much Up and Down with our 3400RL and Dodge ram. We paid close attention before changing our pin Box. Our major problem was chucking. We opted to go with moreryde. I really like the MorRyde for its simplicity. Nothing to adjust , No air to add , Just hook up and go.
Good luck
Wayne

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Well,I had been thinking about it for a while and today I made the plunge. Had the 5th Airborne pin box installed on our Landmark today at CW.Made a big difference in the ride home on the interstate.I think I am going to like it. Also ordered the Bedsaver for my hitch. It should be here next week. This Camping world is located on a dealer lot,not Heartland. One of the salesmen looked over our unit and could not say enough good about Heartland. We came close to buying from this dealer but then we meet our Landmark.

Delaine and Lindy

Just to add to all the above. We have the Trailair on our Landmark. We also had a Mor/Ryde pin box and a Trailersaver Air ride 5th wheel. Haven't really use the Trailair enough to determine how it compairs to the Mor/Ryde. I will say the Mor/Ryde is a awesome pin box. That being said the best air ride Hitch is the Trailer Saver. I believe it will be superior to the Trailair, but cost much more. If we were still full timing I would have the Trailer Saver and the Mor/Ryde pin box. We also had the Mor/Ryde suspension, I do think the Equa Flex by Trailair is equal to the Mor/Ryde RE suspension. We don't have any chucking with the set up now. Trailair pin box and B&W turnover ball with the Companion 5th wheel hitch. I have come to the conclusion that its a lot in how your 5th wheel is loaded and how level it rides, pin weight has a lot to do with the chucking also. Just my opinon. GBY..............