Aluminum Wheel For Inner Dual

Sniper

After almost 15 years (2001 F-350 7.3L Dually) and 270,000 miles my front aluminum wheels are badly scared and pitted (the rears are in remarkably good shape). Found a good deal on refurbished ones at Rock Auto. Sooooooo anyway I was thinking of using the wheels that are on the front now to replace the steel inner wheels on the rear duals. I mean those steel wheels are several pounds heavier than the aluminum, and saving 50 pounds is saving 50 pounds. Anyone else done this?

Thanks and safe travels.

GOTTOYS

Be sure and check to be sure the offsets are the same. My truck, a Silverado has 3 different offset on the wheels. The fronts and the rears are different but the spare will work with either one. Why not just polish or have the fronts polished. 50# of weight savings is a drop in the bucket on a 9,000# truck. About 1/2 of 1% big deal....Don

BlackT

Also be sure the wheel studs on the rear end are long enough. The aluminum wheels may be thicker. I looked into doing that on my GMC and the studs were too short to allow full thread engagement.

Sniper

The offsets are the same for the front and rear. (in fact the only difference is on the factory wheels they do not finish both sides). As far as having them Polished out, I was quoted a price of at least $75.00 a piece depending on how bad they are (they are in bad shape) plus having the tires removed and remounted, and the truck would be down for 3 days (its my daily driver). I can buy refurbished ones for $150.00 a piece. Like you said 50 pounds may not be that big of a deal, but its still 50 pounds I could use else where. Is it not?

- - - Updated - - -

Good call on the studs BlackT. I wish I would have thought of this last month when I had ALL the wheels and hubs off installing new drilled and slotted rotors. I had the hubs split and everything. LOL