Dually tire pressures for towing savannah

OK, I know this section is for RV tires, but I think it's related. The sticker in the door of my Ram 3500 DRW says 80lb for front, 60 lb for the rear tires. They are all the same tires, and there's a whole lot of weight on the back when towing my Savannah. Should I add more air? Maybe someone out there with a similar setup can advise.
Thanks!

MTPockets

I go with my Ford Dually truck door sticker Which is for maximum load. 75 front and 65 rear.. SRW trucks would have higher pressure for max load. My pin weight is 3400 lbs, plus I have tool box and auxiliary tank in bed. That pressure is the mfg recommendation so I stick with that.

jnbhobe

OK, I know this section is for RV tires, but I think it's related. The sticker in the door of my Ram 3500 DRW says 80lb for front, 60 lb for the rear tires. They are all the same tires, and there's a whole lot of weight on the back when towing my Savannah. Should I add more air? Maybe someone out there with a similar setup can advise.
Thanks!

remember there are 4 tires on the rear,60 psi is enough to carry the GRAW of the truck

Sniper

Go with the factory recommendations for tire pressures for the factory installed tires. If you ever go to a different tire than came from the factory go with the max load recommendation on the sidewall of the tire.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you go with the manufacturers numbers you will be allright.
My RAM when hitched up with 3,500 # of pin weight the left front wheel has 2,850 pounds on it. At 80 psi the tire is rated at 3,085. So I only have about 235 pounds of leeway.
The rear wheels when hitched with 3,500 pounds of pin weight come in at 7,350, with the passenger side being 3,750. The tires when inflated to 65 psi and running as a dual wheel are rated at 4,940 pounds per set.
So taking that inflation rating I have about 1,210 pounds leeway on each dual or a combined leeway of about 2,400 pounds.
One thing worth noting is if you plan to adjust pressures differently than the recommended inflation rate you will need to weigh everything to know what you can safely inflate to. You mentioned a whole lot of weight, do you know how much weight?

Hope this clears up the weight on the tires dilemma.

Peace
Dave

pegmikef

I just had mine weighed at Goshen and the results were that the tire inflation matched the door sticker recommendations for psi (front 75, rear 65).