medium duty trucks vs light duty(1ton)

tomsws6

Ok, Im looking for info on why or why not or you can or cant on your truck.. I have a cyclone 4200 and am actively looking for a more capable truck to tow it with.. Also with out getting too personal how was it financed or suggested finance, mainly with the 450- 4500 and up. I really like the topkick/kodiaks but would love a sportchassis and up but just not sure about them. Iv driven class 8 trucks before so I understand the size difference etc. Were buying a house so writing a check for 50k is kinda out of the question right now. But any suggestions or comments is appreciated. Thanks!

chiefneon

Ok, Im looking for info on why or why not or you can or cant on your truck.. I have a cyclone 4200 and am actively looking for a more capable truck to tow it with.. Also with out getting too personal how was it financed or suggested finance, mainly with the 450- 4500 and up. I really like the topkick/kodiaks but would love a sportchassis and up but just not sure about them. Iv driven class 8 trucks before so I understand the size difference etc. Were buying a house so writing a check for 50k is kinda out of the question right now. But any suggestions or comments is appreciated. Thanks!

Howdy!

We have always towed our fulltime RV's with a MDT. Our first MDT was a Chevorlet 5500 Kodiak. Great TV but I must warn you G is out of the MDT business and nolonger makes these vehicles. I traded mine tw years ago because I began to have problems finding parts for it. Jo have a used 4400 International 2l custom hauler. You can find some good deals on used ones you just have to look. take a look at 2L custom truck site they have pre-owned and take trades, give Wayland Long a call he can work with you he did me.

http://www.2lcustomtrucks.com/home.cfm

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

SilverRhino

Last year we upgraded from a 1 ton dually to a Freightliner M2. The Dodge had plenty of power to pull our trailer and had been a great vehicle for 100k +........ That being said, the power of the Cat C9 in our FL is awesome, the air ride is much more comfortable and MOST of all......... It will stop without question!

Checkout Truck Paper and other sources for used trucks. The pricing on the MDT is very competitive with the 4500 range of pickups and you get more truck for the $$$.

tomsws6

I have been looking at them. MDT's are very capable. Do they finance them like RV's? Im just not familiar with how they do that with MDT's.. I know cars very well but have heard that getting a f450 financed is difficult.

scottyb

You need the Smart Car for sure.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Banff%u0025252520May%u00252525202015%u0025252520truck%u0025252520and%u0025252520Smart.jpg
    Banff%u0025252520May%u00252525202015%u0025252520truck%u0025252520and%u0025252520Smart.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 461
  • Banff%u0025252520May%u00252525202015%u0025252520truck%u0025252520and%u0025252520Smart-3.jpg
    Banff%u0025252520May%u00252525202015%u0025252520truck%u0025252520and%u0025252520Smart-3.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 466

szewczyk_john

I too have been researching ram 4500s. I have found out that their is very little room for dealer discounts or rebates like there are on the 3500s. The dealers say that since they are normally sold for commercial usage, they do not offer incentives.

porthole

Retired
I too have been researching ram 4500s. I have found out that their is very little room for dealer discounts

I heard the Siren's song and she wailed John - come hither and trade your old beast in !

Attachments

• Ram_4500_1.jpg
    Ram_4500_1.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Ram_4500_2.jpg
    Ram_4500_2.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 103
B

BouseBill

Look for used F-450s with low miles. They are out there. Had no problem with financing.

If you purchase from a dealer, they will know where to go for financing if required in your situation. Check with your insurance company before purchase.

Try this link: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...pe=used&listingTypes=used&makeCode1=FORD&mmt=[FORD[F450[]][]]&modelCode1=F450&searchRadius=200&showcaseOwnerId=573024&startYear=1981&vehicleStyleCodes=TRUCKS&Log=0&showcaseOwnerId=573024&captureSearch=true&fromSIP=22E05EBC56E8EE9B81BB45093F0D0E5C&showToolbar=true&Log=0

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm guessing that if one can't afford the tow vehicle . . . one probably can't afford the trailer that would need that type of vehicle to haul it with.

I guess if I were a full-timer hauling all over the place all of the time, a semi would be the tow vehicle of choice.

That being said . . . for our trailer and the usage we put our truck and trailer through . . . our 2015 Chevy 2500HD is plenty of truck for us!

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• NewProwler-P1000041.jpg
    NewProwler-P1000041.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 320
  • ProwlerAtArbys2015-P1000174.jpg
    ProwlerAtArbys2015-P1000174.jpg
    704.8 KB · Views: 316

szewczyk_john

A 4500 would be overkill for my current unit but what if I ever wanted to upgrade in the further? That is the only reason I am thinking about it plus the 4500 has beefier steering, suspension and brakes. At this point in time I am trying to stay up on the used market of the medium duty trucks. I think that is the right decision for us. I believe in having the right tools to do the job.

tomsws6

I can agree with that.. But like so many idiots like myself, who go and buy trailer first and then "I guess I need a bigger truck now" it happens... Most situations are different like myself, we are living in ours for the time being so it made sense to go bigger but that being said I also didnt buy it to sell it after the house is done(hey, I guess I could be classified as fulltimer!!! YAY). Honestly from my searching around a class 8 HDT is actually quite affordable in most aspects. Its not like I would need to put a hauler bed on it from the get go. I would change out the sliding fifth wheel and throw a decent air ride hitch on there but other than that it would work great. Now just like every other thing Iv ever bought with the famous line "it will work for now" soon afterwards Im lookin to lighten my wallet. Just like I bought a 20k cyclone and said my truck will work for now as were not moving alot bla bla bla..:p If I did buy a HDT it would be driven alot, same with a MDT.. I would get a small used 1500 or something with 4wd before winter but I wouldnt have a problem driving to the store or work if needed. At least for now as I would just deal with it. My biggest question and hurdle would be the financing. There not classified as a reg car loan so thats my biggest issue and as most free $$ is going to the down payment for the house and crap.. Not that everyone cares or needs to know bought that stuff, im not a woe is me type guy. Insurance isnt my concern either so Iv looked into that it. I think a MDT would be more user friendly, like I really like the room available in a C4500-5500, the power of the f450's, and the capability of a sportchassis. If someone doesnt want it out on the forum feel free to message me but any suggestions on that front would be great. I know the capability of alot of 1tons nowadays are amazing and have made leaps and bounds from previous generations. Just wonder for the same amount of $$ is it worth it on that front.

Bones

I can agree with that.. But like so many idiots like myself, who go and buy trailer first and then "I guess I need a bigger truck now" it happens... Most situations are different like myself, we are living in ours for the time being so it made sense to go bigger but that being said I also didnt buy it to sell it after the house is done(hey, I guess I could be classified as fulltimer!!! YAY). Honestly from my searching around a class 8 HDT is actually quite affordable in most aspects. Its not like I would need to put a hauler bed on it from the get go. I would change out the sliding fifth wheel and throw a decent air ride hitch on there but other than that it would work great. Now just like every other thing Iv ever bought with the famous line "it will work for now" soon afterwards Im lookin to lighten my wallet. Just like I bought a 20k cyclone and said my truck will work for now as were not moving alot bla bla bla..:p If I did buy a HDT it would be driven alot, same with a MDT.. I would get a small used 1500 or something with 4wd before winter but I wouldnt have a problem driving to the store or work if needed. At least for now as I would just deal with it. My biggest question and hurdle would be the financing. There not classified as a reg car loan so thats my biggest issue and as most free $$ is going to the down payment for the house and crap.. Not that everyone cares or needs to know bought that stuff, im not a woe is me type guy. Insurance isnt my concern either so Iv looked into that it. I think a MDT would be more user friendly, like I really like the room available in a C4500-5500, the power of the f450's, and the capability of a sportchassis. If someone doesnt want it out on the forum feel free to message me but any suggestions on that front would be great. I know the capability of alot of 1tons nowadays are amazing and have made leaps and bounds from previous generations. Just wonder for the same amount of $$ is it worth it on that front.

I like the MDT and the HDT because you can put extra things on the back of it like a golf cart, car, motorcycles, and so on. But I will be sticking to my Light duty for now. Maybe later down the line I will build an HDT.

porthole

Retired
I wouldn't mind trying a MDT or HDT.

Some things to consider that I seldom see mentioned in the online articles.
While HDT's in the used market can be affordable up front, it could take 6 months or more to get converted. RV conversion? HDT's are meant to have a GVW of 80,000 or more. If the suspension is not re-worked correctly with the trailer that will be towed taken into consideration, the truck will beat the trailer up, air ride hitch or not.
You don't get in a HDT, you climb up into it, a very valid consideration. Dogs? Especially bigger or older pups.
Repairs? $200 brake jobs are long gone. Granted, done right a conversion will probably have minimal repairs down the road except for maintenance. Done wrong, getting one shop's conversion fixed at another shop could add up quickly.

$70,000 mentioned in the article is what you could get a 2016 F-450 Platinum for. Add $2500 and you could extend your warranty out to 125,000 miles.

MDT's - the used market seems a little light on lower mileage trucks. The new market has them well up over $120K

Here is a local dealer I pass going to work that I have been tempted to stop in.
Window stickers are down right scary though.

http://www.phoenixtruxx.com/inventory.aspx?cursort=asc&mk=Freightliner

scottyb

You don't get in a HDT, you climb up into it, a very valid consideration. Dogs? Especially bigger or older pups.

When I was in the market for a delivery truck for the company, I was very interested in a MDT. Our driver was in his late 60's at the time, 70+ now. When we went to look at them, he was not comfortable getting in and out of the truck, which he would have to do frequently during the day. We decided that the F550 suited his needs and met all our towing requirements of our 26K gooseneck trailer. It has the same footprint as a F450/550.