3M Command Strips

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I drank the Kool-aid last year to hang some pictures on the wall, using the fabulous Command Strips. Today, I find this. The adhesive strips blistering the wallpaper under them. Fortunately, I was able to smooth the blisters back and the wallpaper looks OK. The strips are in the trash and I'll stick to putting tiny holes in the wall to hang things.

TxCowboy

Perhaps a heat build-up behind the strips?

I've used Command Strips for a couple of years and never seen this problem develop.

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
This happened to us also. One of the strips was on an outside wall, but the other was in the bathroom cabinet. Needless to say, we had to put holes in the wall.

JohnDar

I don't know if the adhesive in the strip reacts with the wall paper, or putting the wall paper in a shear mode pulls it away from the wall board, but the pictures that were hung with them are very light. The wall paper retained it's adhesive property and was able to be pressed back into place and the bubbles flattened out by hand.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We have used them for years without problems, but obviously that is not true for everyone.

Kristy

camr

The Command strips indicate "wall side", which would possibly indicate a different adhesive is on each side of the strip. Is it possible that the strip was applied "backward" to the hook plate causing the wrong adhesive side to stick to the wall surface?

SilverRhino

I have another problem with the Command Strips......... They do not want to stick to our walls! I have tried wiping the area with alcohol and still they want to come lose with the least amount of pressure.

No matter how simple the application...... Someone can find a way to screw it up, and it this case I have to own it :rolleyes:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We had the command hooks all over the place in our Trail Runner with no problems, but they won't stick to the walls in our new Prowler.

And one bubbled the wallpaper as well.

JohnDar

Well, I is a college gradiate and can cipher pretty gud and read (with piktures) gud to. Them thar stickies was on the wall for a year befor I seen they was a pulling off. So's I think I put them on korrect.

SeattleLion

I have another problem with the Command Strips......... They do not want to stick to our walls! I have tried wiping the area with alcohol and still they want to come lose with the least amount of pressure.

No matter how simple the application...... Someone can find a way to screw it up, and it this case I have to own it :rolleyes:

Are you waiting at least several hours before putting any weight on the Command item? We discovered that it takes several hours for the cement to gain strength. Once we figured that out, nothing's fallen off.

Bigburd

Have same issue, same location. Blister streched out wall material and will not return to origional size. Looking at a syringe, glue and squeegee.

JohnD

Have same issue, same location. Blister stretched out wall material and will not return to original size. Looking at a syringe, glue and squeegee.

I think we'll have to hang a picture or something over the blister on our bathroom wall.

Not sure why we could hang the Command Strip hooks all over the place in our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner . . . but our 2015 Heartland Prowler will not allow them to be used!

One of the many mysteries of the universe!

Donail

I'm not sure what you are hanging on the 3M Strips. I have always used good straight pins to hang pictures and light weight items in my home as well as in my RVs. A good pin will hold 10 pounds. I use a pair of pliers to hold the pin while I tap it into the wall at an angle. Want a change, just remove the pin and all that is left is a pin hole. I also use #M Strips. Making sure i get the correct side of the tape in the correct place and letting the hook cure at least overnight before hanging anything on the hook. Never had a problem, putting on or taking them off.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I have a number of the strips throughout the rv. So far, I have not seen the "wall paper" pull away from wall. I use different sizes for different items. I have one of the larger ones next to DH side of bed to hang his jeans...all the things in his pockets plus his belt are there as well. It is the 10 pound hook...and it is still doing just fine.
I wonder if the difference is actually the adhesive that is used to attach the "decorative wall paper" to the under-layment of the wall board?? In other words, it may not necessarily be the Command Strip.

avvidclif

Looks to me like the wallpaper adhesive gave up before the strip did. The wallpaper was pulling away from the wall. Can't blame the strip for that. I use them several places with no problem, just depends on what you hang on them.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I too have had this happen. I think it does it when a hook is actually trying to hold up a lot of weight. IE Kelly's Purse was one. Coat hooks to be another. Where I used 4 or more to hold up pictures have not had any issues.

silvasp

Well, I is a college gradiate and can cipher pretty gud and read (with piktures) gud to. Them thar stickies was on the wall for a year befor I seen they was a pulling off. So's I think I put them on korrect.

LOL!
That took effort to just read it!

JohnD

I too have had this happen. I think it does it when a hook is actually trying to hold up a lot of weight.

This was not the case in our Prowler . . .

I put them up and let them settle over night, then the next day tried to hang a towel on each of the two in the bathroom and one pot holder on the two in the kitchen.

Three of them fell off of the wall within a minute of hanging something on them, and the other in the kitchen is still on the wall . . . but we don't hang anything on it since the others all fell down.

I believe that there is some kind of spray coating that was done on the inside (kinda like a Scotchgaurd treatment) and this is why stuff won't stick to the walls.