Blowmax on my new Oakmont!

Unfortunately, we signed on the dotted line before knowing just how bad the Towmax tires are! We haven't taken possession yet, but would like to get the dealer to install new tires. Do you think I have a shot if I ask them to let me order Sailuns and have them sent to Camping World where they will throw them on the rig as part of the dealer prep? We didn't plan to have to replace the tires immediately - that's just crazy - but all the posts have made a believer out of me.

I don't know much about tires, so I'm seeking advice and guidance from you experts!

I looked at a spec sheet/brochure for the Oakmont and it says the tires are ST235/80R16-E. The Sailun S637 on the Simple Tire website says 235/75R-17.Is this the one I'm supposed to get? It's the closest in numbers....not sure what all that means.

Also, if the tire size is different, are they going to fit my rims?

Thanks for any advise you can give....

Michele

jimtoo

Hi Michele,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I would certainly ask your dealer to change them out for you. Since you signed on the dotted line it may be extra, but worth a shot to beg and ask for some help. And, yes, you should be able to get tires mounted on the same rims.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Jim.Allison

Glad you got this on time.........you are doing the right thing. Towmax are doomed to failure, but in general, watch those tight turns. Any tire can fail and I think that very tight 5th wheel turns are responsible for some ?% of our tire problems.

bigdob24

I am getting a set of Sailuns installed Wednesday.
My Towmax were 235 / 80 R / 16 and the Sailuns are 235 / 85 R / 16 .
The Sailuns will be a bit taller but will work OK.
You have to get the tire to fit your rim , sounds like you have a 16" rim
Also the Sailuns inflate to 110psi so the rim has to be able to handle the high pressure too, they are stamped on the inside
for 110 psi.
I looked at my new tires today and they are a lot heavyer looking then the Towmax.
Your dealer should be able to suggest the best tire size and check the rims too
Good luck in making the deal

scottyb

Unfortunately, we signed on the dotted line before knowing just how bad the Towmax tires are! We haven't taken possession yet, but would like to get the dealer to install new tires. Do you think I have a shot if I ask them to let me order Sailuns and have them sent to Camping World where they will throw them on the rig as part of the dealer prep? We didn't plan to have to replace the tires immediately - that's just crazy - but all the posts have made a believer out of me.

I don't know much about tires, so I'm seeking advice and guidance from you experts!

I looked at a spec sheet/brochure for the Oakmont and it says the tires are ST235/80R16-E. The Sailun S637 on the Simple Tire website says 235/75R-17.Is this the one I'm supposed to get? It's the closest in numbers....not sure what all that means.

Also, if the tire size is different, are they going to fit my rims?

Thanks for any advise you can give....

Michele

Congratulations on your new Oakmont and of making yourself one of the informed. You can rationalize new tires by looking at the Towmax as just sacrificial delivery tires. You will start out with a brand new set of tires and will have full control of their destiny. Hit the road and enjoy your new rig.

avvidclif

I am getting a set of Sailuns installed Wednesday.

I looked at my new tires today and they are a lot heavyer looking then the Towmax.
Your dealer should be able to suggest the best tire size and check the rims too
Good luck in making the deal

Uh, actually abt 23 lbs heavier per tire. 38 vs 61. When I got mine and mashed on them I told the DW that air was an option.

donr827

You might try taking the link to some of the threads on here about Tow Max problems and have the dealer read them. Maybe he will help you some. Never ask never get.
Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When we bought our new Prowler two months ago it had BlowMax tires on it.

I had just replaced the BlowMaxes on our previous two year old Hearland Trail Runner and only had 80 miles on the new tires, so I had (and paid extra) to have the dealership swap the tires.

If you already have the new tires before you take delivery, I'm sure they'll swap them for you.

Then you could sell the BlowMaxes on Craigslist and get some of your money back.

justafordguy

What ever you do, do not leave the dealer without real tires. Make them replace them. I didn't know how bad the towmax were and let my dealer stick me with them. I found out quickly how bad they were and replace mine with only 300 miles on them, what a waist of money. The Sailun S637 are awesome and the best 5th wheel tire I found for the money.

Thanks so much for all the information and advice. The GM at our Camping World has been great to work with, and he's helping us get new tires on the coach. Can't wait to get out in it!