7—pin adapter for 5er

sdwelling

I'm on my second 5er and tow vehicle. Both trucks had 5th wheel 7-pin adapters installed aftermarket in the bed with the bed rails. Really beginning to regret not going with a factory install this go around... In both trucks, the electrical connectors used to install the additional wiring harness (Scotch locks?) have failed. So now I have a Ford F450 p/u and desperately want to install the OEM wiring harness with none of these unreliable connectors (so I hope). My local Ford Dealer is going to call me to see if its possible. Do any of you fellow Heartlanders have any info about the Ford factory wiring harness that I did not buy?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

sdwelling

I hope so - I didn't buy the factory 5th wheel prep, so I would love to have "plug-n-play" capability instead of Scotch lock crimp connectors.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Scotch locks have no place in wiring. It was a poor idea to offer aftermarket automotive installers a quick way around doing a job correctly.
You can just about guarantee yourself issues down the road using them.

Jim.Allison

Plug and play is the only way to go. I dont even like the connections in the j-box, trouble is trouble. And the last thing I want is trouble in 100 degree weather in some small town. Or have to pull off because my tail lights are not working at night ("here honey hold this flashlight on this part here" "do we have any electrical tape in that bucket of stuff we carry?"). Scotch locks can create resistance, can arc, and blow a fuse. I just reworked my J-box for that reason. I found the j-box wire clamp trying to bite into the insulation on my input wires, and a box full of wire nuts. My next project is to make that right.

BTW, I'm open to suggestions on making those j-box connections durable and permanent. Anyone made this mod?