Bighorn - Surge protector

Wmnmy

Hello my name is william and I have a 2016 Big Horn 3270rs and I would like to know if they come with a built in surge protector ...

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Surge protector

Hi William,

I think the Landmark 365 is the only model that has a surge protector as standard equipment. I don't see it in the list of Bighorn standard or optional features.

If you want to make sure, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

sengli

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Surge protector

I installed my own in my big horn, it was surprisingly very easy to do. The EMS 50 amp hard wired unit is very robust, and there is enough loose power cabling in the coach to install it pretty easily in the basement area. It comes with a remote display, so you can see whats going on with your power as soon as it it plugged in.

Attachments

• IMAG0253.jpg
    IMAG0253.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 166
I picked up our 2016 Bighorn 3010 about three weeks ago and am considering getting an Electronic Management System / Surge Protector ("EMS"). So, I have the following questions:
- Any thoughts on brands?
- Any thoughts on hard wired vs. portable? Has anyone experienced their portable EMS "walking away"?
- Concerning installing a hard wired EMS, does anyone know where the converter is on a 3010? I think I've found it buried next to the hot water heater, and it looks like it might be difficult to put the EMS in front of it because of all the plumbing that surrounds the converter. I believe the EMS should go in front of the converter.

Correction: The EMS needs to go on the main power input cable (50 amps) and in front of the A/C fuse box, before power enters the trailer. From the looks of my 3010's basement the power cable may be buried deeper, behind the water heater and the heater and next to the fuse box, and difficult to get to?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Go with the progressive industries one. Either HW or plug in. I personally use the plug in one. I have not had any issues with it trying to walk away but I have since bought a chain and lock it best I can to the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sniper

I picked up our 2016 Bighorn 3010 about three weeks ago and am considering getting an Electronic Management System / Surge Protector ("EMS"). So, I have the following questions:
- Any thoughts on brands?
- Any thoughts on hard wired vs. portable? Has anyone experienced their portable EMS "walking away"?
- Concerning installing a hard wired EMS, does anyone know where the converter is on a 3010? I think I've found it buried next to the hot water heater, and it looks like it might be difficult to put the EMS in front of it because of all the plumbing that surrounds the converter. I believe the EMS should go in front of the converter.
A good Surge Protector is a must have weather it's a hard wired one or a plug in unit. Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C is the one we have. You can check them out here: http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ Don't be without one.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We like the portable as we can take it with us to another rig or check out a pedestal before pulling in. We use a bicycle cable lock to lock it to the pole.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Go with the progressive industries one. Either HW or plug in. I personally use the plug in one. I have not had any issues with it trying to walk away but I have since bought a chain and lock it best I can to the post.

We too have the Progressive portable unit. I also purchased their locking cover which I use everywhere. If I think there's a greater than average chance of theft I also have adequate hardware to lock it to the pedestal.

pegmikef

I like the portable one as Dan mentioned how easy it is to replace in case of a lightning strike or similar incident. I have already had to use Progressive's lifetime warranty as mine went bad for some reason (I suspected the sporadic power we were having at a Canton, TX rally) and it was no questions asked. I sent mine in and they sent me a new one (it was a year old at the time). . . . unwiring or wiring involved.

teasac69

I like the portable one as Dan mentioned how easy it is to replace in case of a lightning strike or similar incident. I have already had to use Progressive's lifetime warranty as mine went bad for some reason (I suspected the sporadic power we were having at a Canton, TX rally) and it was no questions asked. I sent mine in and they sent me a new one (it was a year old at the time). . . . unwiring or wiring involved.

I suddenly started having some chatter in my progressive when I plug it in to my storage barn which has 30 amp service. I pulled my rig home to live in it in my driveway while doing some remodeling to the house and got same chatter. Talked to progressive customer service and we have an appointment to talk to the tech on the phone tomorrow with my multi-meter and do some troubleshooting and determine where the problem is and then they will replace. I like the "let's find the problem" versus just send me a new one, what if it is something other than the unit? so far I like what they are doing to help me.

I do prefer the portable unit and I too have devised a cable lock system to protect it on the pedestal and keep it around. Have seen other units out there but seems to me the Progressive is the most seen on my travels.

Happy Trailering
I suddenly started having a "chattering" in my Pro

sjandbj

I have chosen to use the hard wired version that Progressive has. It took me a little bit to install since i moved the transfer switch and power converter off the floor and over to the back side of the steps. It looks a lot cleaner. The portable is nice but I prefer to be able to see the voltage and current draw from the remote panel inside my rig. This all personal preference. The one thing that you will find in all the post is that the Progressive EMS seems to be the preferred brand.

Regards,
Steve

I had the portable EMS from Progressive. This did not protect my RV from an electrical surge of 240 volts. A dropped neutral in the power cord reel, which is after the EMS, allowed 240 volts to enter my RV and caused several thousand $$ damage. The wired my take more time but will protect more.

jimtoo

I had the portable EMS from Progressive. This did not protect my RV from an electrical surge of 240 volts. A dropped neutral in the power cord reel, which is after the EMS, allowed 240 volts to enter my RV and caused several thousand $$ damage. The wired my take more time but will protect more.

The power cord reel you have, is this something you installed or had installed? Did this happen when you first used the reel? The 50amp RV service is 2 separate 120v circuits. I don't see how you could get the 240v unless something was wired wrong.

Am I missing something here?

Jim M

avvidclif

With no neutral line in the circuit the trailer has 240v applied. A hardwired unit would have shut it down and avoided damage (if it reacted quick enough)

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Good point. I also have the electric power reel and now I'm glad that I just got the hard wired unit. I also don't want to have to worry about it walking off.
I already have to put a lock and cable on my portable satellite dish.

danemayer

The power cord reel you have, is this something you installed or had installed? Did this happen when you first used the reel? The 50amp RV service is 2 separate 120v circuits. I don't see how you could get the 240v unless something was wired wrong.

Am I missing something here?

Jim M

When there's a failure on the neutral line, anywhere from the back corner of the park, to your breaker panel, voltage inside can go way up. For anyone who wants to see an explanation, here's a link to the Lost Neutral Presentation.